Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Vienna, Austria - 18-19 September 2007

Inside Vienna's St. Stephensdom Cathedral
 
The 4-hour drive this morning from Prague was uneventful; we got lost (again) trying to find the Meininger City Hostel. When we finally found the facility, the staff politely and regrettably informed me that they were fully-booked and apologized that they somehow did not have my reservation from Expedia (teething problem since the hostel opened just the day before). They took accountability and found us an alternate hostel, paid for by them. It took me a short while to find the other hostel and after checking in, we were pleased to note that we were given two separate rooms: a single and a double (with breakfast included). After settling in, we walked to a nearby pub (
D'Landsknecht) to have an early dinner. The locals seemed friendly, always ready to offer help/directions to yet another lost tourist (like us). We had a good dinner at the pub and went to bed early.

I got a parking ticket on 19 September 2007 - bummer. In the late afternoon, after a day out, I went for a brisk jog around the city as I was feeling lethargic from all the driving and eating out. I also broke my "no-sugar" vow to try THE original sacher torte and apple strudel at the Sacher Hotel Coffee House; they were so good and worth it! Might I add, I was charmed by the young host at the Sacher Hotel Coffee House - he had a polished demeanor and these pair of sparkling blue eyes. :) In general, the Viennese are cultured, well-mannered, well-groomed and soft-spoken. Some of the fake Mozarts in the Centrum also made me laugh. :) 


Above left: Sacher torte, apple pie, and coffee @ Sacher Hotel Coffee house; above right: Mixed meat platter @ D'Landsknecht


Above left: Potatoes @ D'Landsknecht; above right: Semolina dumpling soup @ D'Landsknecht

 
Above: Viennese beef stew @ D'Landsknecht

No comments: