Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Valkenburg, the Netherlands - 29 May 2007

The main purpose of my visit to Valkenburg was Thermae 2000, a top-notch wellness spa resort equipped with steam saunas of varying degrees of heat and scent treatments, hot baths, whirlpools, and regular pools. Unaware of their mandatory nude policies in their unisex bathing and sauna facilities, I went about the complex in my bikini. I felt out-of-place, self-conscious, and uncomfortable for being the only one "dressed" for the affair. Still, it was fascinating to be exposed to nude bodies of different sizes, ages, and gender.

All the different saunas and baths I entered were splendid. Every nook and cranny in my body was completely reset and relaxed after the steam and bath treatments. I was detoxified. Fifteen minutes prior to when my time's up (I had bought a discounted morning entrance ticket), I was "caught" by an employee who said that since "everyone's equal" there, I must remove my bikini in order to remain in the bath house. I took that as a cue and headed for the changing rooms! Obviously, no photography was allowed in the facilities. Below are some photos of Valkenburg.


No comments: