Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sequoia National Park, California, USA - 28-30 October 2013

Once again, I heard the call of the wild and responded. This time, I headed southeast to Sequoia National Park, the country's second-oldest national park created on September 25, 1890, where I fulfilled a long-time desire to see The General Sherman Tree, the world's largest living tree (by wood volume).

On the 4 1/2 hour drive from the Bay area to the park (on hwys 101S, 152E, 99S and 198E), I passed several towns like Los Banos, Fresno, and Visalia and saw many orchard groves, farms and processing plants for almonds and citrus fruit along the flat valley. The entrance to the park is near the town of Three Rivers, pop. 2,600 at an elevation of 800 ft (or 244 m).

It dawned on me, as I was driving into the park, that autumn season is now upon us. For those who don't know, one of the perks of living in the SF Bay area is its almost-year-round beautiful weather - sometimes we get as much as 10 months of sun a year. During Indian summer (i.e. now), we get warm summer-like weather in autumn in the Bay area. So it was an unexpected treat to be in autumn conditions in the park. Still, I was told that the weather in the Sierras is unpredictable and that pleasant weather can turn hazardous and nasty within a day's range. There was a tire chain advisory for the park when I arrived the evening of October 28. Snow had fallen in the upper elevation during the day (the day before, it was dry and sunny).


Entry into the park cost $20 per vehicle and the permit's valid for multiple entries for 7 days (When I left I had thoughts of re-selling the permit to another visitor at a discount since my car's license was not on it but I decided against it - the fed govt needs whatever help they can get to pay off their debt). I decided to camp out at Potwisha campground (elev. 2,080 ft or 634 m) inside the park at $18/night. It's got a restroom nearby, so no complains there. I stayed 2 nights at Potwisha.

The next morning, the tire chain advisory was still in effect. Safety first after all. I drove down to Three Rivers town and rented the chains from A-1 Totem Market and Gifts, about a mile west of the park's Ash Mountain entrance. The one-day rental for a set of tire chains (1022 series) cost $30 +tax. The guy at the shop showed me how to install them on my 2 front tires as this was a first foray. I was apprehensive but when time came to shine, I delivered. Tire chains were required from about 4,000 ft (about 1,219 m) on Generals Highway in the park. I'm super glad that my tire chains stuck and did what they were supposed to do. I felt sorry for a minivan driver and his contingent as his vehicle got stalled in the middle of the road as one of the chains had broken on the ascent. Scary.

It was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L up there in the Sierras with the snow. I was in awe and so-so grateful. Life felt so good, pure, and authentic up there. The silence was deafening. My racing thoughts came to a pause and I felt calm and at peace. God was telling me to slow down and breathe. I was centered and present. Nothing else mattered; it was just God and I.

My raison d'être at Sequoia National Park was The General Sherman (sequoia) Tree, located inside the Giant Forest (about elev. 6,500 ft or 1,981 m). It is 275 feet (or 84 m) tall and its trunk weighs an estimated 1,385 tons and has a ground circumference of nearly 103 feet (or 31 m). It is approximately 2,200 years old and is the world's largest living tree by volume of total wood. Every year, The General Sherman Tree grows enough new wood to produce a 60-foot-tall tree of usual size. Impressive stats. At first glance, I was rather disappointed. "This is it?" I thought to myself. I had expected something massive. Turns out, it's the volume of wood that it holds that makes it the world's largest tree. I see. I was also reminded that it's the journey that counts - the destination is but a focal point or goal.

After paying homage to The General Sherman Tree, I drove to Waksachi Village (elev. 7,000 ft or 2,134 m) to have lunch at the lodge; after which, I warmed up with a cup of jo by the fireplace. It was serene, except for two women who played Jenga and screamed when the blocks came a-tumbling...  On the way back to camp, I stopped at Big Trees Trail in the Giant Forest (elev. 6,400 ft, 1,954 m) and did a brief hike in the cold.

Cut off from civilization for 2 nights and 3 days, without any form of IT or device, I was isolated from the noise of the "real world". It was healing and I felt the high of coming out of the woods.... only to be saddened by the sight of industry as I drove along the highways and faced screaming "in-your-face" billboards telling me I need to buy a new truck or car, or get a new mortgage, or seek a pet-sitting service, etc. Sigh. Such is life. The one positive sign I saw on the drive back (put up boldly by a kind Samaritan) was a quote by Jimi Hendrix: "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hear, hear!

The next to-do/see for me in Sequoia National Park is Mt. Whitney which is the highest mountain in the contiguous 48 states, standing at 14,500 ft or 4,420 m. Until then, stay safe, walk in the light, and "keep it real, dude" (overheard at the campground). I leave this mountain advice (from anonymous): Reach for new heights * Rise above it all * There is beauty as far as the eye can see * Be uplifting * Build on a solid foundation * Get to the point * Enjoy the view!


You may also like: Bodie and Tioga Pass; Sonora Pass and Bridgeport

No comments: