Saturday, October 17, 2015

Jungle Trekking, Mondulkiri, Cambodia - 13 October 2015

I woke up bright and early at 6:30 AM feeling refreshed. The sun was up, the animals were left to their own devices, and children were playing. It was peaceful in Putong Village. I had tea and biscuits (which I brought with me) with the male host and Vincent, a Swiss traveler in our group. It's cool to just sit and shoot the breeze with others with a view of the green hills in front of me. By 7:30 AM, everybody was up. Thea, my guide for the day, brought breakfast for all of us. After eating, he took me to meet my new group, and we started our trek at around 9 AM.

Thea was a seasoned and deft guide, but he walked way too fast for the rest of us. The trek was one of the most challenging ones I've been on for these reasons:
1. Several extremely steep descents and ascents
2. Muddy, unrutted terrains
3. Leeches, leeches, and leeches!

Some highlights:
1. Bodhi and bamboo trees in the middle of the forest
2. Three different waterfalls - one of which, we walked under through a rock cavity
3. Incredible views of dense vegetation and open spaces
4. Termite hill, wild mushrooms, and crickets
5. Peals of insect and animal chatter from the ground and on the trees

We walked at least 15 KM between 9 AM and 4:30 PM. My muscles were sore after the trek, and I was traumatized by the leeches. I had 5 bites in total - a few of them managed to suck my blood through my socks. Gross. The walk through the leech-infested parts of the forest was the worst kind ever, and I couldn't wait to get out of the forest to drier, sunnier, and safer grounds. I have to say these blood suckers are the baddest ass pest I've come across. Woe be to them!

Again, I've had a great experience, and I was glad that I joined the tour organized by the Green House Bar and Restaurant as not only were their tour prices fair and reasonable but their group sizes were smaller (up to 6), and their guides were all friendly and adroit. While the Mondulkiri Project may be popular, I was glad that I did not join their tours. We met a group of trekkers from the Mondulkiri Project on the trail, and I was appalled to see about 15 of them being led by just one guide. The trek was difficult as it was with just the 7 of us, I can't imagine it to be easy for 15 or more people. I was informed that the previous day, the Mondulkiri Project had 20 people in a group that was led by only one guide. This says a lot about the way things are currently run at Mondulkiri Project - it seems like it's profits first and people second for the owners/operators at the Tree Lodge/Mondulkiri Project. I'd stick with those who truly care about the people and have their pulse on the needs of the communities.

Above left: Crickets dugged out from the ground using fiery ants ~ 6 of these fetch US$0.25, and they are to be fried and eaten

Above right: A termite hill

Above: Bodhi trees

Above right: My big left toe was bitten by a leech

Above left: Stopping to check our feet and legs for leeches


Next post: Nature Lodge, Sen Monorom, Mondulkiri, Cambodia - 13-15 October 2015

Previous post: Putong Village, Mondulkiri, Cambodia - 12 & 13 October 2015

No comments: