Monday, September 23, 2013

34th America's Cup, San Francisco, California, USA - 21st and 23rd September 2013

An America's Cup right here in the SF Bay Area - this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I could not miss! While I'm not a die-hard fan and must confess that I do not know much about the sport, I have, however, been taken by the sport's interplay of natural elements and physical demands, and the scientific approach to building the AC72 Catamarans.

It's hard to miss the deluge of high-end brands at such a world class event. I suppose one needs the other by association; sailing and luxury seem to go hand-in-hand like milk and cereal, bread and butter, or apple pie and vanilla ice cream. It is my hope that some day, we will have more youths (privileged or otherwise) participate in this sport.

In any case, I found the upbeat and electric atmosphere at the America's Cup Park in Piers 27/29 to be contagiously uplifting. Perhaps it was the appreciation of life and of living that did it for me. I paused to ponder about the men who take up the sport -- their dedication to their passion was deeply inspiring. Despite the physical challenges and high risk demands of the sport, these men worked hard to put on a great show for their team, their sponsors, and the spectators around the world. All in, a class act.

May the better team win the "Auld Mug"!

Below: Race 16 on Sep 23, 2013

Below: Team USA, Winner of Race 16 on Sep 23, 2013

Below: Team New Zealand in Race 16 on Sep 23, 2013
 





Above left: Oracle Team USA; Above right: Emirates Team New Zealand

No comments: