Friday, September 12, 2014

Porto, Portugal - Part I (August 22 & 23, 2014)

(Belated post)

On August 22, I took yet another Rede Expressos bus from Fatima to Porto's Batalha bus station (the one-way 2-hour ride cost 16.60 euros). As my final destination on this trip, I based myself in Porto for 10 consecutive nights (the longest I'd stayed in on this trip). From there, I also took a day trip each (on rail) to nearby towns of Braga and Guimaraes.

I had a good first impression of Porto ~ perhaps it was the river, or her compact size, or the hilly streets (or a combination of these factors) but Porto certainly had a charm and character of her own. She held on to her own style and stayed true and authentic to hard-work and honesty, as according to a popular Portuguese saying, "Porto works, Braga prays, Coimbra studies, and Lisbon spends/flaunts!". I felt at ease in the city. 

I stayed 4 nights (at 17 euros a night) in Porto Lounge Hostel near the City Hall in historic Porto. The 3-level trendy hostel was the brain-child of Fatima, a well-traveled ex-teacher who turned an abandoned and dilapidated 18th-century building into a classy and cozy place to stay (modern, clean, bright, and spacious rooms with an en-suite). I liked her personal touch and friendliness; I also liked the evening meals which some of us participated to make together. One night it was pizza, the other night, it was a traditional Portuguese meal of shrimp croquettes and tomato rice. The hostel felt like a home away from home to me.

I have distributed my Porto posts and photos into 4 parts. Here is the first part. Enjoy!

Above left: First view of the Douro River from the bus; Above right: Electric atmosphere in Porto (on my walk from the Batalha bus station to Rua do Almada, 317)

Above right: Porto's City Hall (Camara Municipal do Porto)

Above left: My bed in Porto Lounge

Above left: Porto Lounge stairs (18th-C restored); Above right: A Camino arrow! Porto is also a rest stop (and a popular starting point) on Camino Portuguese

Above right: Sao Bento Railway Station

Above: Inside Sao Bento Railway Station ~ check out the beautiful azulejos (blue tiles)

Above right: Rua das Flores

Above: Lunch of vegetable soup, fish fillets, and Russian salad (5.70 euros)

Above left: A chocolate cafe; Above right: An old bookstore ~ loved the smell of old books! (both along Rua das Flores)

Above: A dainty souvenir shop along Rua das Flores

Above right: Love the tall doors

Above right: A hilly Porto street

Above: Walking to the riverfront square (Praca da Ribeira) in Ribeira

Above left: A medieval alley in Ribeira

Above left: Colorful houses in Ribeira

Above: Rua Cais da Ribeira

Above right: View of Cais de Gaia riverfront from Ribeira (across the river Douro)

Above left: View of the Port Wine houses from Ribeira (across the river Douro)

Above left: Another look at the colorful buildings of Ribeira

Above left: Praca da Ribeira

Above right: Luis I bridge (Ponte de D. Luis I)

Above left: Cais de Gaia riverfront

Above right: Calem port wine house (I returned a few days later to tour their exhibit/warehouse and sample their wines)

Above right: Kopke ~ Porto's oldest port wine house (likewise, I returned a few days later to sample their wines)

Above: A weekend market in Cais de Gaia in Vila Nova de Gaia

Above left: View of Ribeira from Cais de Gaia

Above right: Rua de Almada

Above: Making pizza in Porto Lounge

Above left: My first (of several) port wine (shots) in Porto; Above right: Hung and her mini pizzas


Next post: Porto, Portugal - Part II (August 24-26, 2014)
Previous post: Fatima, Portugal (August 20 & 21, 2014)

No comments: