Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A reimmersion to Asia (Phnom Penh, Cambodia) - 14 April 2015

Chomreabsuor from the Kingdom of Cambodia!

It's the wee hours of the morning and I'm wide awake - jet lag's a real chore. My first day in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, went relatively well and I'm glad to have arrived safely with all my bags intact.

While Phnom Penh may not be exactly salubrious in terms of fresh air and cool weather, she makes up for it with the charm of her people and a low cost of living. I can get behind prices like these: US$12/night for a single air-conditioned room with an en-suite, free breakfast, free WiFi, cable TV, electric kettle, etc., US$5/month for a 4 GB mobile data plan, US$1.50 for a chocolate gelato (other places US$1), and US$0.65 for a 1.5 liter of bottled water.

Coming from a place where my mobility was never an issue (with a car and affordable gas), transportation in Phnom Penh seemed bedeviling in like of (in)flexibility, cost, and intrepid drivers. I had to re-adapt to taking public transportation and the common choices here were taxis or tuk tuks. A 20-minute taxi ride from the airport to the riverside area cost US$9 (a minor victory as it was haggled down from US$12) and a 5-10 minute tuk tuk ride between my hotel and Aeon, a modern shopping mall, cost US$1.50-2.00 each way. Although relatively affordable, these costs can add up if you're going to many places in a day.

The heat was definitely felt head on, but nothing unexpected. I had to take 2 showers the day I arrived - the first was to freshen up after a long plane ride and the second was to rid myself off of the smell, dust, and fumes gathered from my tuk tuk rides to and from the mall. The air-conditioner is a must for comfort and I'm thankful that this room comes with it.

It was also the first day of the Khmer New Year when I arrived. Many shops were closed and locals spent the day with their friends and family at the big mall or along the Preah Sisowath Quay next to the Tonle Sap River. Battling jet lag and travel exhaustion, I had to break away from the festivities to rest and recuperate. Anyway, tomorrow is a new day. Happy Khmer New Year!

Above left: Breakfast at TPE; this tray of food cost US$9.74 (yummilious!); Above right: Secured a US$9 price from the PNH airport to the riverside area (never take the first price as a given; always negotiate!)

Above left: On my taxi ride from the airport to the riverside area; Above right: View from the hotel's balcony 

Above left: My first tuk tuk driver in Phnom Penh; Above right: At the Aeon mall - note the sign: "Handicapped And Expectant Mother Parking" (nice)

Above left: Chocolate gelato at the mall - cost US$1.50. Accepted mode of payment: whole dollars in USD and half dollars in riels (no use for coins!). In this case, 50 cents were equivalent to 2,100 riels. Since I only had 2,000 riels with me, I asked this young man if he would accept them and he did. I'm getting quite adroit at asking for favors; Above right: PP (from Smart, Cambodia's mobile operator) was ultra patient with me as he explained the plans and terms

Above: Aeon mall - bustling with people and energetic vibes

Above left: So many types of mosquito repellents for sale - I ended up buying one that uses an electric vaporizer (no smoke, no ash, no stains!); Above right: The Royal Palace (as seen on the tuk tuk ride along Preah Sisowath Quay) - I will explore this area on foot at another time

No comments: