Thursday, April 23, 2015

More idle musings from Phnom Penh, Cambodia - 23 April 2015

I witnessed my first torrential downpour in Phnom Penh yesterday afternoon. The saying, "When it rains, it pours" is literally befitting of the situation. For those of you in California, constant rain like this may turnaround the years of drought. You were in my thoughts when I shot this video below (taken from inside a mall and thankful to have averted it). Relish the sound and sight of this sky juice:


On another note, a week in the country and I have developed a mild case of gastroenteritis (stomach irritation and diarrhea). Alas, it's inevitable no matter how careful I was with where and what I eat or drink. This is an accepted part of life in an emerging country. I've been loading up on liquids and staying indoors to rest.

Still on the subject of food, I came across these tropical fruit the other day and thought they were pretty to look at with their interesting shapes, textures, and colors. I didn't buy any to try although I've had cherimoya and mangosteens before in the past.

Above left: Snake fruit; Above right: Cherimoya fruit

Above left: Mangosteens; Above right: Spinach quiche and lemonade (US$5.70) at Joma Bakery

By the way, for those of you who read my previous post about A New Way of Travel, I have to add that my mobile phone has doubled as a GPS device for tuk-tuk drivers. I learned that many tuk-tuk drivers do not know street names and are, instead, more familiar with landmarks. They may claim that they know the destination but in fact, they don't. A couple of times, I (the newly arrived!) had to give them directions using my mobile phone. Patience, I remind myself, is a virtue and like muscle memory needs to be trained and formed.

On the upside of things, I found a nice, newly-built, and furnished one bedroom apartment to rent and will be moving in tomorrow (more on that in a separate post).

Until then, adios for now. God bless y'all!

1 comment:

Charles said...

Walk with Sandra,
You have a nice gig!!
Don't walk, Ride.. :)