Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Dalat, Vietnam - 26-28 July 2006

Situated 1,500 m (4,900 ft) above sea level, Dalat is blessed with year-round cool temperate weather - the cool fresh air was a most welcome change from HCMC/Saigon's heat and humidity. Not only was it pleasant to walk outside in Dalat, the town felt safe to me. The pace was slower than HCMC/Saigon, the people down-to-earth and friendly, and there was a simple tranquility and salubrity in Dalat which really appealed to me. I really enjoyed walking around the wet and dry markets and sampling exotic food there.

While in Dalat, I booked and went on a trekking trip to Lang Biang mountain (elev. 2,163 m) with a guide for US$12. It was utterly interesting and fun even though I fell 4 times on the descent and got my pants, t-shirt, shoes, and hands all dirty. It rained when we were at the top so the hike down was treacherously wet and slippery and I knew that it was inevitable that I would fall, especially since I didn't have a pole with me. In the end, I no longer cared how dirty I got. :) There's something very healing and calming about the powers of nature - the trees, leaves, branches, fresh and cool air... it was all great!

We took 2.5 hours to hike up the mountain (between 9 and 11:30 am) and the ascent was not exactly a piece of cake as it was short and steep. At the top, the views were blocked because of a thick fog but we took it in stride. After all, it's always about the journey more than the destination. There, Mr. Le, my guide, prepared a nice picnic lunch for us, which included prepared pork with tomatoes and cucumbers wrapped in baguettes. We also had cheese, longans, rambutans, pineapples, and bananas.

I highly recommend the Dreams Hotel in Dalat. I stayed at their 151 Phan Dinh Phung location, which was central and within walking distance to the markets and shops. At US$10/night, my cozy room was tastefully furnished with a dresser, mirror, laced curtains, and a side table with lamp; it also had a private en-suite complete with hot showers. Free breakfast was served from 6:30-10:00 am which included fresh fruit, eggs, baguette, yogurt, cheese, and different types of spread like margarine, strawberry jam, marmite, vegemite, and peanut butter. There were also coffee, tea, and juices. Someone I met on the road said it was his best breakfast in Vietnam and I could relate.

**Scenes en-route from HCMC/Saigon to Dalat**
(click on any image for a(n) enlarged / gallery view)


Above right: Bahn mi, Vietnamese sandwich (7,000 dong or about US$0.50)


Above left: Tofu with vegetables and meat soup (15,000 dong or about US$1.00)


**Dalat**


Above: No idea what this thick and gooey soup was called but it was delicious AND it cost only 5,000 dong or about US$0.35 per bowl


Above left: Chicken and white rice dinner cost 17,000 dong or about US$1.10; Above right: Sua dau nanh or soya milk drink (4,000 dong or about US$0.25)


Above left: Fried spring rolls, Vietnamese coffee and iced milk tea (25,000 dong or about US$1.65)

Above left: Sua dau xanh (green beans drink) cost 3,000 dong or about US$0.20; Above right: Lady owner of Dreams Hotel

**Lang Biang Mountain trek at Dalat**

Above right: Mr. Le, my guide, brought these goodies for a picnic lunch at the top of the mountain


Vietnam Itinerary: Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Hanoi

No comments: