Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bologna, Italy - 22 September 2007

Little did I know then but the delicious egg and tuna sandwich that I had at the Venice Tronchetto water bus station to kick-start my morning (of 22 September 2007) was but a prelude to a gastronomic adventure that awaited us in Bologna, 2-3 hours drive away. The shot of single espresso left a bitter taste in my mouth but the caffeine boost opened my sleepy eyes as we set off for Bologna.

We arrived in Bologna in the late morning and after finding parking far from the centrum, we went on foot to the center, a good 25 minutes walk each way. The city, charming, and the weather, warm and sunny -- it was simply a perfecto setting for a good walk. After a satisfying and leisurely lunch, we walked to the market in the square to find many small retail shops selling a wide variety of Italian meats, cheeses, and fresh fruits. Oh what a visual delight! Shame we weren't able to taste all the food that caught our eyes.


 
Above right: Tamburini


Our stop in Bologna would not be complete without a visit to the lavish and old food emporium, Tamburini. All in, I must say the short detour into Bologna (en-route to Florence from Venice) was definitely worth the trip. The foodie-in-me was satisfied! :)

No comments: