Saturday, December 20, 2008

El Calafate y Perito Moreno Glacier, Argentina - 17-18 December 2008

On 17 Dec, I left El Chalten at 6 PM on yet another Taqna/Marga bus (cost: one-way 50 ARP or ~US$14.50). We rode for about 3 hours south on Ruta 40 and arrived in the swanky town of El Calafate a little before 9 PM. It was still bright out as the day was long at this time of the year in the Southern Hemisphere. Without wasting any time at the bus station, I bought a CalTur round-trip bus ticket for 80 ARP (~US$23) to see the Perito Moreno Glacier the next day on Dec 18 and a one-way bus ticket on Cootra for 60 ARP (~US$17) to Puerto Natales (Chile) on Dec 19. I then walked a good distance from the bus station to Hostal del Glaciar (Libertador) where I stayed 2 nights.

75 days into my 3.5 month grand tour of South America - I must confess I got jaded and tired of the continuous travels. Not only did I lose a sense of normalcy of a daily routine, I also lost a sense of time (‘what day is it today?’) and place (‘where am I today?’) and became detached from family, friends, and the rest of the world. Little by little too, I found myself bleary-eyed with cynicism at the things people say or do around me.

Following the high points of the Inca trail and Rapa Nui, few things excited me now until my chance encounter with a Singaporean couple outside a grocery shop in El Calafate. Looking dusty and worn-out but happy and contented, they have been riding on their motorcycle for over a year to see the world. I respect their courage and determination (they had planned and saved up for 5 years) to pursue their dream of exploring the world on their two-wheeler. It's a rarity these days to find many Asians, let alone from Singapore, getting out of their comfort zone to do such a life-changing and extraordinary trip. Bravo to Mia Chun and Samantha! Check out their travel adventures at http://singaporedream-rtw.blogspot.com


For me, to unexpectedly see a familiar license plate from Singapore (in Argentina!) and to be able to converse in a smattering of mixed ‘Singlish’ and mandarin with the couple about our travels and food (of course!) like ‘bak-kwa’ gave me the emotional boost and inspiration that I needed. It was the change in meeting a positively different type of traveler (as opposed to the young and immature backpackers, or some of the annoyingly high-brow European travelers) that thrilled me.

Perito Moreno Glacier at Parque Nacional Los Glaciares was manifique! I spent a few hours there just watching in awe at its sheer size and magnitude, and waiting for ice breaks that brought out thunderous cracks, huge splashes and small tidal waves.



Above left: Ice calving in action


Above: El Calafate

Above: Parilla - BBQ meat - Argentina's specialty


Above: Roasted lamb and chicken. I also had beef, pork and many rounds of side dishes (buffet style)

1 comment:

singaporedream said...

Sandra... Majulah, Singapura....

keep it flying!