Monday, September 24, 2007

Assisi, Italy - 24 September 2007



The journey's start to Assisi from Firenze in the morning was hampered by a flat rear left passenger tire caused by a small punctured hole on the side of the tire (no doubt the work of an ill-intentioned individual). Big deal right? I could have changed the tire and we would be on our way. Problem was, the car had no spare tire or even a jack in the trunk! I went ahead to rent the car even though I knew it was missing these items. [Tsk tsk tsk] I was too eager to take off and didn't want to wait another day in Maastricht to get a different car - the car rental company didn't have another alternative for me that day. So I took the risk and paid for it.

Our feelings of hopelessness and despair at the sight of the flat tire soon vanished when we were aided by one good Samaritan after another. A kind gentleman who walked by us on his way to breakfast (with a newspaper in hand) noticed our desperation and then said to us, "Momento", with a hand gesture asking us to wait. He then left us and returned, a few minutes later, with a portable motorized pump. I had never seen anything like it before! It was sturdy enough to pump air into the flat to raise the tire enough so that I could drive to the nearest mechanic. While that was going on, he tried so patiently to give us directions to a mechanic as he did not speak any English. He was a Godsend, a very kind man who saved our day! We could not thank him enough. En-route to the mechanic (with an instinct that I was getting lost - again), I drove to a gas station that I had driven by and asked the attendant there to help me pump more air into the tire. This bought me more time to look for a mechanic. I also got a full tank of gas. The attendant's directions to a mechanic was unclear and again I got lost. Completely flushed with hopelessness, I decided to stay on the road and prayed earnestly to God for help. Lo and behold, He answered my prayers *right away* as I saw a tire shop down the road! Blessed, truly blessed! I was truly grateful that we were going to be okay. The tire shop employee fixed the hole for us in a very short time (there was no wait!) and for a very nominal service fee of 25E (in truth, I was prepared to pay any amount at that time!). Furthermore, as the tire shop was located near to the A1 highway, getting back on the freeway was a piece of cake and we resumed our journey to Assisi, making it there in time for the 3 PM Mass at the Basilica di San Francesco. God was with us all the way as he sent angels to help/protect us. Praise to the Lord indeed! :)

In Assisi, I rented a house in the suburb with an awesome view of the Assisi plane from the second floor balcony. My parents loved it there. We felt an overall sense of peace in Assisi. The privacy of the house provided space and comfort for us to rest and reflect - a great place for a retreat. Also, for just 95E a night, including breakfast for the three of us, it was a bargain!

A
Canticle of Brother Sun and Sister Moon of St. Francis of Assisi:

Most High, all-powerful, all-good Lord, All praise is Yours, all glory, all honor and all blessings.

To you alone, Most High, do they belong, and no mortal lips are worthy to pronounce Your Name.

Praised be You my Lord with all Your creatures, especially Sir Brother Sun,
Who is the day through whom You give us light.
And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendor,
Of You Most High, he bears the likeness.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars,
In the heavens you have made them bright, precious and fair.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
And fair and stormy, all weather's moods,
by which You cherish all that You have made.

Praised be You my Lord through Sister Water,
So useful, humble, precious and pure.

Praised be You my Lord through Brother Fire,
through whom You light the night and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.

Praised be You my Lord through our Sister, Mother Earth,
who sustains and governs us, producing varied fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

Praise be You my Lord through those who grant pardon for love of You and bear sickness and trial.


Blessed are those who endure in peace, By You Most High, they will be crowned.

Praised be You, my Lord through Sister Death,
from whom no-one living can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Blessed are they She finds doing Your Will.


No second death can do them harm. Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks,
And serve Him with great humility.


Above: Olive trees at Assisi











Above: San Francesco Basilica













1 comment: