Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and Mekong Delta, Vietnam - 24-26 July 2006

After a week of exploring historic temple ruins in peaceful and laid-back Siem Reap, Cambodia, I thought I was prepared for a change of scenery and looked forward to my flight out into Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), formerly known as Saigon, on Vietnam Airlines. What I didn't expect was the stark contrast between Siem Reap and Vietnam's largest city. Compared to slow-paced and mellow Siem Reap, HCMC (located in the south of Vietnam) was a bustling city full of noise, traffic, and people. I was overwhelmed. After overcoming the initial shock, I managed to navigate my way around the city but still lacked the ebullience to visit the Fine Arts Museum, War Remnants Museum, or the Reunification Palace.

My ambitious two-week plan in Vietnam was to travel by bus from Saigon in the south to Hanoi in the north, where I would take a flight back to Singapore on August 3rd. I bought my bus tickets in advance from a travel company in Saigon and secured my way from Saigon (and Mekong Delta) to Dalat, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi.

Looking back at the trip, it was truly amazing to visit these wonderful places and see the differing landscapes from the south to the north. The trip also exposed my palette to a wide range of delightful Vietnamese cuisine as various regions in the country had their own popular local specialties. As I traveled north, I also noticed a gradual shift in political ideology.

(click on any image for a(n) enlarged / gallery view)

 
Above right: Tasty pho and well-done flank (25,000 dong or about US$1.55)

 
Above left: Used/pirated books for sale; this was where I bought a knock-off copy of Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" for 50,000 dong (or about US$3.15)


**Mekong Delta**


Above: Dinner at Mekong 1965 restaurant in Can Tho city - simmered fish, fresh spring rolls, and a bottle of Saigon beer - cost 40,000 dong or about US$2.60


Above right: The floating market at Cai Rang

Above: @ a rice paper factory


Above left: Beef stew with sticky rice and lime juice (30,000 dong or US$1.95); Above right: Breakfast (33,000 dong or US$2.15)

Vietnam Itinerary: Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Hanoi

No comments: