Saturday, October 6, 2007

Interlaken, Jungfraujoch and Geneva, Switzerland - 3-6 October 2007

October 3, 2007 - The drive up to Switzerland from Italy was the best yet with views of vast, undulating landscapes and snow-capped mountains; calm turquoise lakes in the valleys form another picturesque scene. There's something very special about this alpine, neutral country. For one, I'm just SO glad and relieved to be out of the big cities and back in the great outdoors and be with mother nature. The local folks here are friendly and helpful. There's no air about them; what you see is what you get - I like that about people. I guess being in such environs help. Mr. Walter at Walters B&B in Interlaken is a fine example.



**Interlaken**







October 4, 2007 - It rained continuously from last night to this morning and didn't stop (intermittently) until mid-afternoon today. Still, I'm not complaining. We spent a lazy morning at Walters B&B. It was good foresight that we did our grocery shopping the day before and with the kitchen clean and free for our use, we took our leisurely time to make breakfast and lunch. This was such a welcome change after days of eating out. After a delicious and heart-warming congee lunch, and in between rain pauses, we took a drive out to the Trummelbach-falle. The drive to the falls was simply scenic and heavenly! The combination of the low-lying clouds in the valleys against the backdrop of wet and green hills in the cool weather was nothing short of tranquility. The falls were invigorating to the spirit. I was reminded that something as fluid as fast moving water could have the force to cut and shape hard rocks over time.




Above: Lauterbrunnen Valley














Above: Trummelbach-falle Valley






Above: Stechelberg Valley



**Jungfraujoch**

October 5, 2007 - The trip up to Jungfraujoch this early morning (@ 6:30 AM!) was well worth the time and money. I caught breathtaking sights of glaciers and vast expanse of virgin snow. Jungfraujoch stands at the top of Europe at a height of 3,571 m or 11,782 ft. One of the best feelings in the world was to stand at the top of the mounts, alone, amidst an incredible vastness of white powder. It was heavenly! All the fears and problems that I faced suddenly seemed so minute when I was up there, happy, at peace and contented.

A couple of new friends and I were lucky to have a bright and clear day to hike from Jungfrau plateau (at elevation 3,571 m or 11,782 ft) to Monchsjochhutte (at elevation 3,650 m/11,976 ft). I must say that even for a seasoned hiker like myself, the altitude was definitely felt head on as I had to take a few breaks to catch my breath (even for seemingly easy gradual ascents) on the hike up to Monchsjochhutte. When we arrived at the hut, we rested over big bowls of coffee, and oh can I say it was da bomb!?! Warm, steamy coffee up in the mounts, can life get any better than this? :)

Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger form the Jungfrau-region mountains that were sanctified by UNESCO as a World Heritage site in 2001. It was GREAT up in the mounts and I'm recharged and ready to finish the rest of the trip. I hope the next two days will be good. I do feel a bit sad to leave this region but I have a feeling that I will be back again. There's so much to do there!










**Geneva**

October 6, 2007 - After Zurich and Vancouver, Geneva has the third highest quality of life in the world, and I can see why. It was love at first sight for me with Geneva. Thanks to its hosting of many international organizations such as the (European) UN, UNESCO, WHO, WTO and The Red Cross,
Geneva boasts a colorful and vibrant international community of people.

I was instantly attracted to their markets - all the types of food you can find around the world in one place! There were also many small specialty shops that cater to the various nationalities who live and work in this high GDP per capita city. Tolerance of national cultures is a given. The people there have a certain aura about them - a sense of confidence, of experience, of humility. It's a place I can see myself living and retiring in.


Above left: United Nations; Above right: Lake Geneva


No comments: