Sunday, September 23, 2007

Firenze (Florence), Italy - 22-23 September 2007

Above left: @ the Cathedral de Santa Maria del Fiore (the Duomo);
Above right: @ Piazza Michelangelo


Above: Sunset on the Arno River

The 2-hour drive from Bologna to Florence in the Italian region of Tuscany was pleasant with views of broad and hilly landscapes. We also drove through several tunnels and over highway bridges that connected some hills. As before, whenever we exited the freeway and entered the city, the directions that I had printed out would hardly clicked. I lost my way trying to find the Hotel Genzianella in Piazza (della) Liberta. It took me about 40 minutes (with multiple stops to ask for directions) to finally locate the hotel. After I dropped my parents off at the hotel, I proceeded to find parking for my trusted C30 Volvo -- that excursion took another 30 minutes at the very least. Finding cheap AND legitimate parking ('legitimate' because there were Italian signs on practically every street warning when parking would be allowed) was a HUGE challenge in this old city of Firenze.

It did not help that my seat belt sensor got a bit cranky and sounded an annoying alarm while I was driving. Stress level hit the roof as I circled the streets....it was definitely a character-building moment! Mid-way in my search, somewhat fed-up but not to the point of giving-up just yet, it suddenly occurred to me that it was Sunday the next day and hence, free parking in Firenze! Happily, I drove back to a side street near the hotel and found a parking spot there (although later, I was informed by the hotel receptionist that I should move my car to another spot across the street as they would be cleaning the hotel side of the street the following morning!) How annoying!

Enough with the ranting on my parking (mis)adventure. After a simple self-service dinner at a restaurant nearby, we walked to the DOM center to take in the cool night air and people watch. On the walk back, two fun-loving Italian ladies approached me and asked if I thought the pair of sunglasses that one of them was wearing looked nice on her. I looked at both of them and said "But it's night time now...?" It was stupid but the three of us spontaneously burst out in laughter. What a nice end to a stressful day. :D



The following morning, we attended the 10:30 AM Sunday Mass at the Duomo and I lucked out when one of the priests there asked if I could help them with collection. Of course I said YES! I was honored to be asked! :)

Coined the birthplace of Italian Renaissance, the city has a wealth of history in art and architecture. "Renaissance men", Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, were both also born in Firenze. A truly inspiring city. Romantic. Charming. Wonderful.



Above left: Menelaus supporting the body of Patroclus; Above right: the back of the sculpture of The Rape of the Sabine Women


Above left: The first of two Medici lions (commissioned by Ferdinando I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany in 1598 for his Villa Medici); this was sculptured by Giovanni di Scherano Fancelli


Photos of The Baptistery (Battistero) below:



(Daytime) photos of the Duomo below:




Navigating the streets of Firenze - photos below:


Above right: Loggia dei Lanzi (or Loggia della Signoria), on the corner of Piazza della Signoria


Above: The Rape of the Sabine Women, sculptured by Giambologna (1579-1583)


Above left: Piazza della Signoria;
Above right: The Ponte Vecchio (The Old Bridge) crosses the Arno River



Above: Walking across the Ponte Vecchio


Above: Crossing the Arno river on the Ponte Vecchio







Photos of Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) below:


Above: Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, and Rossini, among other luminaries were buried in this church



Above (from left): Tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo and Rossini


Above left: Tomb of Machiavelli





Photos of Piazza Michelangelo below:




No comments: