Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Milano, Italy - 2-3 October 2007

Once again, each time we arrived at a new city, I have to deal with the challenge of locating the ho(s)tel that I had booked our stay in. By now, getting lost in the city is an accepted part of the process. We found the Hotel New Milan after some time and good lord, I had no idea we were that lost. Thank God for the excellent directions from this Italian guy who was so eager to help the poor me, despite our language barrier. God bless him.

Today (Oct 2) has been a trying day indeed -- what with the Eze tire ordeal, the long and dull drive to Milano and then getting lost and dealing with traffic in Milan. I'm SO stressed out and tired from this whole trip. I didn't even feel like sight-seeing in the Duomo area. We got a few shots in downtown Milano and headed back to the hotel area for yet another Chinese dinner, which was a-ok. I'm just glad to have the night to rest and I hope tomorrow will be a better day.


Above left: The Duomo; Above Right: A Vittorio Emanuele II - a fancy shopping mall anchored by top brand names

Milan on Oct 3, 2007 morning was a mess. Many times in life, you don't get what you want or wish for -- this morning was one such day. We missed the 'The Last Supper' by Leonardo Da Vinci @ Santa Maria della Grazie. The tickets were sold out for 2 weeks! Apparently, one must reserve the tickets (6.50E each) in advance -- so oh well! Next, we wanted McD breakfast (for a change) but they didn't serve them the American way with McMuffins and the like -- only sweet brioches and cappuccino! Mom was cheesed! Moving on, we tried our luck at the Chinese restaurant where we had dinner the night before hoping for Chinese breakfast but the place was closed. So, another oh well! Finally, it took me a while to find the autostrade -- I ended up on the wrong highway and driving in the other direction… another BIG oh well! Still, despite all these hiccups, we were on our way to Switzerland @ 10AM. You could imagine I was SO ready to get out of Italy.

No comments: