Saturday, March 22, 2014

Camino de Santiago: The Why, What, When, and How

In less than 80 days, I will be going on a solo pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. This trip has been on my bucket list ever since I read Paulo Coelho's "The Pilgrimage", about a decade ago. Curious at first about the journey, my motivation now to do the pilgrimage is out of devotion - this will be my personal walk for God. 

It is said that the mortal remains of San Tiago (St. James in Spanish), one of the twelve apostles and brother of John and cousin of Jesus, are found in Compostela. Legend has it that a shepherd had seen a bright star above a field in Spain after the death of Christ; soon after, the Virgin Mary and San Tiago went there to evangelize. The field became known as "Compostela", or the Star Field, and a city emerged drawing travelers from every part of the Christian world. Hence, the roads to Compostela, or the Camino, are symbolized by the scallop shell. They have been traveled by pilgrims since the Middle Ages. 

Most recently, the big screens have captured the essence of the Camino via "The Way" and "Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago". Said to be "life writ small", i.e., an analogy for life, the Camino has in modern times been traveled by many ordinary people who do it for various personal and secular reasons. Perhaps one of the most admirable and important traits to learn on the Camino is the ability to accept whatever life will throw at me and to make the most of it. Also, after a long discernment, finally making the decision to face the fear of getting out of my comfort zone to do this challenging trip, to travel simply as a pilgrim, is a lesson in itself. I look forward to understanding and gaining more insights about myself and about life in general on the trail.

Recently, I was fortuitously introduced to one of Salvador Dali's captivating paintings (Thanks, Ed!). His artwork beautifully captured the apostle St. James amid a scallop shell backdrop in majestic glory. There's more to the painting than I can explain, so if you're keen, here's an in-depth write-up about Dali's "Santiago El Grande". I hope to see the real work in person some day - I heard it's truly awe-inspiring.

Above: Dali's "Santiago El Grande"

So, what is there to expect? 3 months (this summer), 3 countries (France, Spain, and Portugal), 3 languages, 1 backpack and 1 pair of good walking shoes. I will be flying into Paris, France, and taking the train southwest to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port, in the French Pyrenees, where I will start my walk. I will be following Camino Frances, the most popular route for walking the Camino de Santiago. The walk distance is at least 500 miles (790 km) and I have budgeted sufficient time for sight-seeing and rest days. After I end my pilgrimage at Santiago de Compostela in Spain, I plan to walk a further distance to Finisterre (Land's End before Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas!). After Finisterre, I will find my way south to Porto, Portugal, where I will fly home. Accommodations will mostly be in budget refugios. And not to worry, I hope to brush up on my less-than-perfect Spanish before I leave. "Dónde va el Camino?" will be useful in case I get lost... So, that's the general plan I trust to take with God's grace. Please pray for me, if you will. Thank you.


I hope to update this blog again with pre-Camino plans; I do plan to post updates while I'm on the road, where possible. Please drop by anytime! Buen Camino! 

God bless and pax vobiscum.

Next post: Credencial del Peregrino

No comments: