Saturday, June 21, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 8 - Estella to Villamayor de Monjardin (June 21, 2014)

I slept so well last night that I woke up at 6:50 am this morning in amazement that most of the girls in my dorm room had left the premise. After a breakfast of bread and jam, cereal and milk, and hot tea, I packed and said goodbye to Julie and Georg, friendly volunteers at the Albergue Parroquial San Miguel in Estella. I liked the smaller and more intimate setting of a parrochial albergue; even more when it's on a donation basis (I gave 10 euros for the stay). While many of the municipal albergues can accommodate 100 beds, they lack the personal touch (and sometimes the smiles) of welcoming hosts in private, parrochial, or smaller albergues.

I started walking later than the previous days at 7:30 am with the intention to stop at Villamayor de Monjardin, which was only a 9 km (5.6 miles) walk from Estella - a short but not any easier hike as it included a climb of 225 meters (738 ft). I arrived at 10:30 am and rested at a bench, wondering what to do next. Later, an elderly man sat next to me and we people-watched for a bit before he asked if I wanted to see the church behind us as he had the keys to open it. I agreed and followed him, including a few more pilgrims who passed by. He was so sweet and gentle. Before I left, he wished me "Buen Camino" and then gave me 2 kisses on the cheeks to bid me goodbye. 

I went to a bar to use their potty and then sat down to have a cup of hot tea and a potato-cheese-egg torta. It felt good to chill and relax. After eating, I walked down to the local store and bought a chocolate mousse to enjoy while I waited for noon to check into the private albergue nearby. While waiting, a biker rode by, stopped and parked his bike, and then walked and sat down by the table next to me. We started chatting and he asked if I liked bikes. "What's not to like?" I thought to myself but I knew where he was heading with the conversation. I changed the subject and also declined his offer to buy me a drink and then said that it's almost time for me to check into the albergue; I then took my bags and rang the door bell at noon and was welcomed.

This private albergue is an absolute bliss. I have a million-dollar view for 15 euros a night (inclusive of breakfast). It is clean, modern, and cosy. It feels wonderful to take it easy and slow. I showered, washed my clothes, hung them out to dry, and then headed back out to the store to buy food to cook for tonight. What an oasis to catch up and rejuvenate!

Above left: Julie and Georg from the Albergue Parroquial San Miguel

Above: Free red wine for the pilgrims ~ what a novel idea! I wished I'd brought an empty bottle with me (like some of the better-prepared pilgrims)

Above left: No bottle? No problem! Yours truly taking a swig out of the red wine tap

Above: Arriving in Villamayor de Monjardin
Above: Church of St. Andrew the Apostle in Villamayor de Monjardin

Above: The 12th-C Processional Cross of Monjardin

Above right: A pretty nasty blister on my right foot


Thanks for reading my idle musings. Until next time, I leave you a quote to ponder upon: "Life's a pretty precious and wonderful thing. You can't sit down and let it lap around you. You have to plunge into it; you have to dive through it." - Kyle Crichton

4 comments:

Nanumea said...

Oh, that's my dear camino friend, the korean girl in blue t-shirt taking wine in her bottle at the fountain! I must have been standing right next to you when you took the picture. And apparently we walked the same speed because I see lot of my friends in your pictures, but strangely I didn't speak to you..

Greetings from Jerusa, Finland :)

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Hi there, thanks for dropping by! Just curious, how did you come across my blog (since we did not talk on the Camino)?

Nanumea said...

I simply googled "camino de santiago blog 2014" and eventually ended up here. It's so nice to read your blog and see the pictures, because I only took a few pictures myself and I really regret not taking more. And everything that reminds me of the camino is great (I miss it so much!).

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Aww, thanks for the sweet comment. I understand what you mean about missing the Camino. It was an inspiring and amazing experience and the pictures bring up great memories. Glad you found the blog and congrats on walking the Camino. From one pilgrim to another, God bless!