Today was a relatively easier day compared to yesterday, even though I covered 21.5 km (13.6 miles) in 6 hours. I left Roncesvalles at 6 am and arrived in Zubiri by noon, dropping from an elevation of 950 meters down to 525 meters. My trekking pole was a lifesaver on the steep downhill sections, taking the pressure off my knees and helping me keep my balance, especially since I am always slower on the descents.
I was also incredibly glad I invested in good socks; the merino wool blend provided much-needed cushioning for my tired toes and heels. While I did develop a blister on a toe on each foot from yesterday's trek, wrapping them tightly with moleskin and securing them with band-aids last night did the trick. It prevented any further friction or painful ruptures - and honestly, they don't even hurt today!
I was also incredibly glad I invested in good socks; the merino wool blend provided much-needed cushioning for my tired toes and heels. While I did develop a blister on a toe on each foot from yesterday's trek, wrapping them tightly with moleskin and securing them with band-aids last night did the trick. It prevented any further friction or painful ruptures - and honestly, they don't even hurt today!
I walked past several Spanish/Basque medieval towns today: Auritz/Burguete, Aurizberri Espinal, Bizkarreta-Gerendiain, and Lintzoain. The towns were dead quiet in the morning, so it was fortuitous that I had saved a quarter of my cheese panini from yesterday to eat as a trailside breakfast.
Around 9 am, a few of us stumbled upon a bar that had just opened for the day. Waking up the senses with a hot cup of tea and a slice of tortilla de patatas (egg and potato omelet) was exactly what I needed. It turned out to be the perfect rest stop as, little did I know, I still had another 3 hours of walking ahead of me.
Around 9 am, a few of us stumbled upon a bar that had just opened for the day. Waking up the senses with a hot cup of tea and a slice of tortilla de patatas (egg and potato omelet) was exactly what I needed. It turned out to be the perfect rest stop as, little did I know, I still had another 3 hours of walking ahead of me.
This pilgrimage has been fascinating in its incredible diversity. Among the pilgrims I met today were travelers from Russia, Germany, Slovenia, Korea, the Netherlands, Spain, France, Norway, the U.S., and Singapore. Yet, despite our different backgrounds, we share the exact same goal: to walk the Camino. Nothing brings people together quite like common ground, literally and figuratively. The truth is, we are all connected.
Zubiri is a neat little town and the perfect place to rest for the remainder of the day. I'm staying at Albergue Zaldiko for 10€ a night. I really enjoyed their clean, private bathrooms with hot showers, and the free high-speed WiFi was a bonus.
Above (copied verbatim from a sign board): "The Sorginaritzaga forest, which means the "oakwood of witches", was where some of the most well-known witches' covens of the XVI century were held, which led to a much-talked-about repression which ended up taking nine people from the region at stake. The White Cross, a symbol of divine protection on the road, which was also the main route between Roncesvalles and Burguete until 1880, was (placed) in this enclave."
Above: At Auritz/Burguete
Above: At Aurizberri Espinal
Above: Breakfast at a bar in Bizkarreta-Bizkarreta-Gerendiain
Above left: Basque pelota at Lintzoain
Above: Arrival at Zubiri
Above: Albergue Zaldiko
Previous post: Day 2 - Valcarlos to Roncesvalles (June 15, 2014)
No comments:
Post a Comment