Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 5 - Pamplona (June 18, 2014)

It was lovely that they played hymns (as a wake-up call) at 6 am this morning at Casa Paderborn. I could get used to that. After packing, I went downstairs to have a simple breakfast of toasts and tea and at 7:30 am, I left the albergue and headed towards the city center (I planned to spend an extra day in Pamplona, the capital of the Navarra region, to sight-see). It's peaceful in the morning without the bustling crowds.

I spent some time at Café Iruña in the morning. This world-famous place, founded in 1888, had retained its 19th-C charm and atmosphere since its opening. Walking into the cafe was like walking back in time with its ornate columns, long bar, large mirrors, marble tables and wooden chairs. This was Ernest Hemingway's favorite place in Pamplona. The city pretty much adopted him since the American author made Pamplona and the region of Navarra famous with his many novels; the most important of which was, "The Sun Also Rises" in which he talked about the running of the bulls in the San Fermin festival. The festival is approaching on July 7 and I've seen many posters around the city publicizing the event and related activities. I wish I can stay for the festival but I have a schedule to follow on the Camino.

At 10:30 am, I visited the three-nave, 14th-15th-C, Cathedral of Santa Maria and the adjoining Cathedral museum that was curated excellently. As a pilgrim, I paid a reduced price of 3 euros (the normal price was 5 euros for an adult) to enter the museum and Cathedral. I also visited the 4-floor Museum of Navarre for free as a pilgrim. I'm glad I stayed another day at Pamplona to see the city in a relaxed way. I feel great today - in more ways than one.


Above right: The City Hall - the San Fermin festival begins and ends here every year


Above: At Plaza de Toros - this bullring was officially opened on July 7, 1922. At that time, the bullring had a seating capacity of 12,200; this building is closed most of the year, except for the San Fermin festival and on select special events like concerts; Above right; the poster for this year's San Fermin festival


Above right: Where the bulls will enter the bullring after trampling the streets (from the pens in Santo Domingo)


Above: The monument to the Encierro (Bull Run) - this sculpture by Rafael Huerta captured the running mozos being pursued by the bulls


Above left: Palace of the Government of Navarre - built in the mid-19th-C, this is the headquarters of the Presidency of the regional government and of a large number of administrative departments. It is known by the locals as the 'Diputacion'; Above right: Monument of King Carlos III ("el Noble") 


Above left: Plaza Del Castillo, the heart of the city; Above right: Cafe Iruna at the Plaza Del Castillo


Above: Inside Cafe Iruna


Above: The Cathedral of Santa Maria


Above: Museum of Navarre


Above right: Francisco Goya's "Marquis of San Adrian"


I checked into the municipal albergue here in Pamplona at noon when they opened their doors and got myself a bed for 8 euros a night. I've learned now to ask for a lower bunk bed if available. I also treated myself to a peregrino lunch for 10 euros - it was a three-course meal that consisted of spaghetti with cheese for the first course, tofu with vegetables for the second course, and yogurt for the third (dessert) course; white wine and bread were included as well. Since most of the city was on lunch break between the hours of 2 and 4 pm, I chilled at the El Peregrino cafe, where I had tea and traditional hot chocolate (37 percent cocoa) which was simply divine!


That's all for now, folks! Until next time, love, peace, and joy be with you. Ciao!

1 comment:

TE said...

It was good to hear that you are feeling better. The pictures are amazing. I have no idea how you are able to document it all.

Don't forget to include yourself in some of the pictures!!!! If nothing else, it will prove that you were there when you tell people about it later :+)

-Tom