Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Camino de Santiago: My First Day in Paris (June 10, 2014)

The 12-13 hour flight into Paris (with a connection in Charlotte) was dull and uneventful. I whiled away time by watching three newly released movies (“Frozen”, “Dallas Buyers Club”, and “Anchorman 2”) as I had trouble sleeping. I can’t remember the last time I sat up to watch 3 movies back to back. When we arrived at CDG (Paris airport), I was more than happy to deplane and be back on the ground. After brisking through immigration and customs, I went to the first money exchange I could see. Travelex was it and it was highway robbery big time – 1.5290 rate to change USD to Euros and a 6.5% commission fee plus this Frais d’echange charge? So, what can I say but suck it up and change some money to get me through the first day in Paris!

I must say that I felt a little overwhelmed at the foreign environment around me at landing. A few hours ago, I was in the States, and now everything’s different. Culture shock and surrealism hit me briefly as I mustered up courage to feel calm and collected again. This is the beauty of travel – the sudden change in perspective - and I love it!

A train (RER) and bus (no. 54) later, I found my way to Ephraim guesthouse at the Basilique du Sacre Coeur de Montmartre (thanks to my compass!) and I was grateful to be able to check into my room at 10 am. (For those of you who are interested, I used the www.ratp.fr site to plan my public transportation routes in and around Paris.) For a half-board rate of 37 euros, I have myself a tiny but clean, modern, and cosy room equipped with a shower; the rate also includes dinner and breakfast. Isn’t that just splendid? Email the sister in charge of the guesthouse at ephrem@sacrecoeurdemontmartre.fr to make reservations if you're interested. You can also find basic info here. After a long flight, a hot shower always hits the spot. In the shower, I also washed my clothes to be efficient. I took the time as well to organized my toiletries so that I'm more prepared when I’m in the communal albergues or refugios.


The morning drizzle made way for heavy rain as I battled jet lag and the lack of sleep. I surrendered to the atmosphere and fatigue and crashed. As I laid in bed and stretched out my tired legs, I felt bliss and serenity. “This place’s a sanctuary,” I thought to myself. It was very comforting to listen to rain pitter-pattering outside my window and birds singing cheerfully. At noon, I heard the cathedral bells rang and smiled. Now, this was a welcome change!



I awoke at 2:30 pm and, despite the rain, decided to head out to Chapelle Notre Dame de la Medaille Miraculeuse to pay a visit. This chapel was the site where the Virgin Mary appeared to Catherine Labouré, a novice sister of the Daughters of Charity, in 1830. Catherine received the inspiration to design a medallion from Mother Mary and after periods of contemplation, created the medal a few years later with the support of the bishop and the head of the Daughters of Charity. It was deemed miraculous when the medal, distributed to thousands of sick people in Paris, healed them of cholera, an epidemic that struck around that time. I felt blessed to arrive in time for Mass at the chapel (even though it was in French). After Mass, I asked a sister there to bless my medallion which I’ve received and worn since 2011.  




I never thought I would pull out my rain poncho on the first day of arrival but I was glad for it. As much as I missed the rain living in California, walking in it was no fun, especially when I was holding onto a notepad with directions written on it (thank God for ball-point pens). So, when the rain stopped at 5 pm, I was happy to pack my poncho away and walk/sightsee with ease. I must say, I’ve been spoiled by the health laws in California because the sight of people standing idly and smoking outside buildings and on sidewalks repulsed me. I held my breath each time I walked past the smokers. “Live and let live,” I reminded myself.

Above right: These French biscuits saved my morning when I got up at 4 am (jet lag) with a growling stomach - so glad I purchased them from a shop on my walk back to the guesthouse

I stopped in at the Basilique du Sacre Coeur de Montmartre for adoration service prior to dinner at the Ephraim guesthouse. Le dinêr was simple: pea soup, salad, and bread for starters, pasta and quiche for main, and a packaged brownie and chocolate mousse for dessert; red wine was served as well. I ate with the other French guests, one of whom thankfully spoke some English so I was able to converse with her. They’re all very nice – in fact, on the streets of Paris too, I’ve been aided by many wonderful Parisians, who when approached were more than willing to help.

So, it was a very eventful first day here in Paris. After dinner, I crashed and slept like a baby. Until next time, pax et a bientôt!


Previous post: A Journey's Start (again!)                      
Next post: From Paris to Bayonne

No comments: