Friday, June 20, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 7 - Puente La Reina to Estella (June 20, 2014)

Today was a rough hiking day in exposed conditions under the hot sun and a taxing trail of peaks and troughs. Oh, how I missed the greenery and shaded trails of earlier Camino days. Brown wheat fields, vineyards, and olive groves punctuated the trail today from Puente La Reina to Estella. 

I stopped to use the restroom and then had hot tea and a small chocolate croissant at a bar in Lorca at around 10:00 am. It was lovely that the man there played classical music at the bar - that's one thing I missed on the trail: music. Since I didn't bring an iPod with me, I'm mostly in my own thoughts when I'm on the trail alone. While silence is golden, good, inspirational music can be uplifting. One of my favorite pieces is Ennio Morricone's "The Mission" theme, which I can listen to repeatedly without getting tired of it. It'll be nice if I can listen to it while I'm on the trail. Even better, if I can listen to that and the Pilgrims' Hymn while I'm on the Camino! Highly apropos!

Above: The Pilgrims' Hymn

So, I walked 21 km (13 miles) from Puente La Reina to Estella today in 6 hours and 15 minutes. I have a new blister on my right heel which I'll take care of tonight - getting blisters is an accepted part of the Camino experience and I'll deal with them accordingly. I checked into the parrochial albergue today at 1 pm (donation-basis). It's awesome that they provide the basic amenities of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and liquid hand soap in the bathroom. They also have snacks like cookies, oranges, and water available on the tables in the welcome room - free for all to consume. After days of living on almost nothing (less is more?), I have come to (re)appreciate the little things that I used to take for granted back home. This, I believe, is one of the gifts of the Camino.

Above: A school in Villatuerta ~ the eyes/gazes of the Camino

Above right: St. Veremundo is the Patron Saint of the Road to Santiago in Navarra

Above left: Inside the parish church of Our Lady of Assumption in Villatuerta

Above: Arriving in Estella

Above: A 3-course Pilgrim's Menu (9.50 euros) in Estella

Above right: Plaza de Los Fueros ~ Estella's main meeting place

Above right: The (mucho) chocolate ice-cream (2 euros) was exquisite!

Above right: The Church of St. John the Baptist at the Plaza de Los Fueros

Above: The Pilgrims' blessing at the Church of St. Michael, after the 7 pm Mass and the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament ~ a heartfelt service for me



No comments: