Sunday, April 26, 2015

Lovely Creature Comfort (Phnom Penh, Cambodia) - 26 April 2015

I recently moved into a brand new one-bedroom apartment near the Russian Market and have been busy getting situated. Apparently there is high confidence in foreign direct investment in Phnom Penh as many new apartment buildings are rising around me. Many if not all of them are catered to the expat market as locals in general cannot afford the rent.

Relative to California, however, rent is ridiculously low in Phnom Penh. The rent for my one-bedroom unit is US$350/month and is furnished as follows:
  • Bedroom - air-conditioner, large king-size bed, wardrobe, desk, and cable TV
  • Living area - a fan, sofa, two arm chairs, and coffee table
  • Kitchen area - gas stove, sink, cabinets, dining table, dining chairs, and refrigerator
  • 1 Washer
  • 2 Bathrooms - water heater in one
  • 1 Balcony
  • WiFi
  • Marble tiled floors
My third-floor apartment is spacious and brightly lit with windows on three sides. In the heat of the day and at night, dark curtains provide for cover from the sun's rays and privacy. Separate costs are water, which is US$5/month, and utilities, which is estimated to be about US$30/month (US$0.25/kwh).

The Russian Market area, also known as Toul Tom Poung I & II, is a delightful enclave of boutiques, restaurants, cafes, and western and local markets - anchored of course by its namesake, Psar Toul Tom Poung (Russian Market), a great place to find bargains, souvenirs, exotic stuff, parts to build a bike, etc.

I was glad to have the service of a rental agent to help with the apartment search. It's easier, their service is free, and knowledge invaluable (they get their commissions from the property owners). I found my agent, Kheang Sok, at the expat-blog site. I liked his patient and not too in-your-face style. We scheduled a day to view a few apartments on his motorbike and when I saw this apartment, my heart was settled. It felt right and the owners are super nice. I went with my gut and secured the apartment with a month's deposit and a 6-month contract and moved in 2 days later. (For privacy reasons, I will not post pictures of my abode.)

I met a friendly neighbor, Marie from Manila, who lives a floor above me and we immediately connected. She took me to her favorite shopkeeper at the Russian Market to buy some household stuff and later we went to an English Vigil Mass at World Vision. I'm so blessed to meet helpful, friendly, and kind angels along my way. Thanks be to God.

Above left: Kheang Sok, my rental agent; Above right: View from my apartment's balcony

Above: Views from my apartment's balcony

Above left: Marie, my new neighbor; Above right: Mee rebus and iced Milo (US$5) at Divine Cafe next to the Russian Market

Above left: Jackfruit hanging from a tree on my street; Above right: A Caucasian saffron clad monk


No comments: