Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 26 - Sahagun de Campos to El Burgo Ranero (July 09, 2014)

I thank God for another easy day, walking from 6:40 am in Sahagun de Campos and arriving in El Burgo Ranero at 11 am, accomplishing a distance of 18 km (11.2 miles). 

It's great to be the solo peregrina in the large compound of Albergue La Laguna for the first couple of hours before the other pilgrims appeared. I took my time with the shower and laundry drill and then sat outside to rest for a bit, and chatted with Vincente, an eccentric but happy hospitalero at the albergue. He's an Italian who used to live in Madrid. When he asked if I liked vino and I answered affirmatively, he offered me a new bottle of red from Ponferrada which he insisted I accept. I didn't know what to make of the gesture but to thank him for his generosity and kindred spirit.

After a quick and healthy self-made lunch at the albergue, I shared the bottle of wine with him and took a brief siesta outside on the lawn chair. It felt so good to chill and lie down with a glass of wine by my side... the simple life, la vida dulce. I'm grateful for the opportunity to rest, relax, and recharge for the remaining part of the Camino (as the last couple of days were rather draining on me). Onwards, upwards!

Cheers, mates! Peace, love, and God bless!

Above left: Bidding farewell to Sahagun and some of her famous monuments

Above: The 18th-C Puente Canto ("The Singing Bridge") in Sahagun

Above: The river Cea

Above: This little buddy was fearless and nibbled away at its breakfast as I stood there looking at it ~ so cute, it reminded me a bit of Remy in Ratatouille

Above right: A map depicting the split on the Camino (before reaching Mansilla de las Mulas) ~ one route favored the pilgrims as there were more rest options; the other was lonelier via Traiana. I chose the former with the option to continue to Bercianos del Real Camino and my rest stop for the night, El Burgo Ranero

Above: Ermita de Nuestra Senora de Perales, next to Bercianos del Real Camino

Above: Entering Bercianos del Real Camino

Above left: Breakfast of tuna empanada and Earl Grey tea (3.70 euros) in Bercianos del Real Camino ~ a nice, modern cafe operated by a friendly owner (with Norah Jones music playing in the background)

Above: Love the beautiful row of trees along this trail

Above: Arriving in El Burgo Ranero

Above: A mobile butcher in El Burgo Ranero ~ mobile trucks such as this is common in Spain with bread, seafood, etc. sold in a similar manner

Above: St. Peter's Church in El Burgo Ranero

Above left: Getting my souvenir stamp (sello) on my credencial at the church

Above: Albergue La Laguna in El Burgo Ranero ~ 8 euros a night

Above left: Easy-peasy self-made lunch of tuna, peas, and mushrooms with bread; Above right: Red wine, a gift from Vincente

 

No comments: