Thursday, July 17, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 34 - Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo de San Miguel (July 17, 2014)

The trek today brought me back up on the hills and gave me a good cardio workout as I climbed to the highest point of 1,500 m on Camino Frances to reach Cruz de Ferro, a significant milestone for me. I dropped a couple of stones that I brought from home at the foot of the cross as a symbol of letting go and letting God and then said a quick and simple prayer; perhaps it's all in the mind, but I felt relieved after I let the stones go.

It's unbelievably beautiful up on the hills and it felt like I was walking in an air-conditioned room all morning because of the cool and pleasant temperature. I'm grateful for the solitude and space.

I walked 16 km (9.9 miles) from Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo de San Miguel today in 4 hour 15 minutes, arriving at 11 am. A sign I saw at a bar/restaurant about a new albergue at the end of the town piqued my interest, so I decided to check it out. When I saw the building, I was sold. It looked like a hotel/resort at first impression. I'm well-pleased with the facilities and I can say that it is by far the best albergue I've stayed in thus far on the Camino and all for a very reasonable rate of 10 euros a night. As the albergue opened just 2 months ago, everything is still brand new and dandy. I'm a happy camper. :-)

Above: Entering (and passing through) Foncebadon

Above left: Yours truly at Cruz de Ferro (1,500 m), the highest point on Camino Frances

Above right: Albergue Los Templarios in Manjarin ~ eccentric galore, "medieval" decor; its "medieval" (read: outdoor) commode was, according to a pilgrim I talked to, "the filthiest I've seen..."

Above right: This man walked slowly and carefully because he's (as you can see) going bare feet on the Camino ~ I respect his conviction and find his determination inspiring as well

Above left: Hot and sharp-edged rocks ~ the bare feet man behind me was in my thoughts

Above right: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

Above: The descent was difficult for me ~ glad to have my stick for balance and support

Above: Arriving in El Acebo de San Miguel

Above right: The entrance to the reception at Casa del Peregrino Albergue in El Acebo de San Miguel ~ newly opened, just 2-months old

Above: Casa del Peregrino Albergue in El Acebo is by far the best albergue I've stayed in thus far ~ resort/hotel-like environment set on a hill with magnificent views, bunk beds with individual power outlets (2 per bed), a personal light, modern bathrooms, hot showers, a lounge area with leather sofas (that still smell like new leather), a restaurant, and a mini-market all in one place. There's also a swimming pool, which I did not use (didn't bring my swim suit). Guess what the best part is? 10 euros a night.

Above right: My lunch at a bar in El Acebo ~ Gazpacho and Tinto de Verano ("Red wine of Summer" ~ refreshing wine cocktail of one part carbonated lemon juice and one part red wine);7 euros

Above: 3-course Pilgrim's dinner (10 euros) at the albergue with Boris, from the Czech Republic

2 comments:

NaĆÆsah said...

Dear Sandra,
May we publish your blog post about our Albergue La Casa del Peregrino, or would you copy and paste your comment on our Facebook Albergue La Casa del Peregrino? It´s nice to hear comments from pilgrims...
Merry Xmas and hope to meet you in the future!
NaĆÆsah

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Hi Naisah! Of course, feel free to share this blog post. :) Season's greetings!