Monday, July 14, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 31 - Villadangos del Paramo to Hospital de Orbigo (July 14, 2014)

Congratulations to Germany for winning the World Cup 2014! I watched the first 90 minutes of the final match between Germany and Argentina at the albergue last night with a few Spaniards who were all rooting for Germany. However, I didn't have the energy to watch the over-time match and only learned about the winner this morning.

I had breakfast at 8 am at a hotel restaurant in Villadangos del Paramo, where I caught a gory "Running of the Bulls" on TV. One of the bulls was really aggressive (to the point of insanity it seemed). It went after a man relentlessly and its horns punctured and then tore the skin off of the poor man's thigh. While I pity the man's plight, I also felt sorry for the bull for it was overwhelmingly taunted by the men around it on the street (as the rest of the bulls were already inside the Plaza de Toros stadium in Pamplona). Who knows, maybe this brown bull would have been just as gentle and carefree as Fernando the Bull if unprovoked?

So, I started my walk at 8:30 am after breakfast with the motive to finish early at Hospital de Orbigo, which was just 11.5 km (7.1 miles) away from Villadangos del Paramo. It took me only 2.5 hours to walk today. I killed two birds with one stone by spending a night at Hospital de Orbigo. First, I rid myself off of the group of university students who went ahead to Astorga tonight. Second, I've heard rave reviews of the albergue parroquial de peregrinos of San Juan Bautista in Hospital de Orbigo and wished to experience it for myself. So, it's all good. :-)

Hospital de Orbigo has a good vibe. I'm astonished by the well-preserved medieval Orbigo bridge as I crossed it to enter the heart of Hospital de Orbigo. It's an amazing sight ~ both for its length and beauty. I've never seen anything quite like it. I can only imagine the tournament of arms that were carried out on it in 1434 by Don Suero de Quinones against his romantic challengers to win the hand of his lady love.

My program for tonight will be: 8 pm Mass at the Church of San Juan Bautista followed by a 9 pm reflection at the albergue. Signing off for now. Until tomorrow, sleep well, sleep tight, and God bless!

Above right: A good network of canals irrigates the fields on this stretch of the trail

Above right: Entering (and passing through) San Martin del Camino

Above left: The odd saucer-looking water tank in San Martin del Camino

Above left: The brick water tank of Hospital de Orbigo, seen from a distance

Above: Arriving in Hospital de Orbigo

Above right: The amazing Orbigo Bridge, also known as "Honorable Passo"

Above: The Orbigo River which flows under the Orbigo Bridge is home to a good population of trouts, a main ingredient in their local and famous sopa de trucha (bread and trout soup)

Above left: The San Juan Bautista Church; Above right: The Albergue Parroquial de Peregrinos of San Juan Bautista in Hospital de Orbigo

Above right: The beautiful and serene courtyard of the albergue

Above right: My bed for tonight ~ 5 euros

Above right: This kitchen cabinet reminded me of one that my grandmother used to own

Above left: Sopa de trucha; Above right: The waiter deboned the fish for me and then told me to mix it well with the soaked bread ~ I rather enjoyed it

Above left: Second course of trout and chips; Above right: Dessert was flan ~ three course meal was 9 euros



No comments: