Saturday, July 26, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 43 - Melide to Pedrouzo O Pino (July 26, 2014)

It's my second last day on the Camino and I'm spent ~ I walked 34 km (21 miles) today in 9 hours. It's no joke to walk two long distances in 2 consecutive days but now that it's done and over with, I'm really glad that I did it. I have an easier 20 km (12.4 miles) to walk to Santiago de Compostela tomorrow. Wow! I'm excited! It's all coming to a close and I'm so ready for it. 

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can spend years walking the Camino (I've heard of homeless people who do that) because after a while, it takes a toll on the being. It's hard to constantly be on the move, to put your head down at a different place every night. It's hard to deal with strangers who are inconsiderate. It's hard because I miss my people and familiar environs back home. Like everything else in life, it's all about balance. I'm super glad that I took the time and effort to do the Camino but I can't imagine spending my whole life on it.

Anyway, more reflections to come when I'm more settled. One more day to Santiago! :-) Onwards, upwards!

Above: I left Melide at 6 am this morning ~ I had to walk in darkness again until around 7 am when the sun finally rose

Above left: My first cuppa tea at a cafe in Boente (1.20 euros); a sign posted on the cafe's aseos (W.C.) doors said that if you wanted to use the bathroom "without consuming", the cost was 0.50 euros ~ first I've seen on the Camino, rather calculative, no?

Above left: "What cha lookin' at?"

Above: Entering (and passing through) Ribadiso

Above: Entering (and passing through) Arzua

Above right: Hot chocolate (1.30 euros) at Vazquez Panaderia in Arzua ~ I'm a huge fan of this thick concoction and I promised to get some packets before I leave Spain

Above: St. James as the Matamoros (left, top altar) and as the Pilgrim (right) in the Church of Santiago in Arzua

Above left: Sisters of Santa Maria de la Providencia in Arzua ~ they were giving stamps to pilgrims who were leaving Arzua, to remind them that the Camino is a pilgrimage first and foremost (and not so much a tourist activity)

Above: A new highway is being constructed

Above: My third rest (drink) of the day in Calzada ~ fresh orange juice (2 euros), beats Jamba Juice hands down 

Above right: C'mon, really? Vehicles on the Camino irritate me

Above left: Mercedes Benz to pilgrim: "Eat my dust"

Above: My thought while walking in the exposed hot sun: "When will this day end?"

Above right: I finally arrived in Pedrouzo O Pino at 3 pm

Above right: Albergue Turistico Cruceiro de Pedrouzo O Pino (10 euros a night) ~ not recommended: beds were in the basement, the WiFi was unreliable (limited), sheets were not changed, showers were dirty with insufficient hooks (for a private albergue, this was the worst I'd stayed in on the Camino)

Above left: @ the albergue ~ looks can be deceiving (I was fooled by their billboard ads)

Above: 3-course menu del dia for 10 euros in Pedrouzo O Pino ~ sloppy but after a long walk, it served its purpose

No comments: