Saturday, July 19, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 36 - Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo (July 19, 2014)

Many more new pilgrims joined the Camino from Ponferrada today; and more will be expected going forward, especially from Sarria (where those who are walking must start to meet the minimum 100 km requirement to receive the certificate of completion from Santiago de Compostela). I left the Albergue Alea at 7 am today after a hearty breakfast of cereal, toasts and jam, orange juice, and hot chocolate (3 euros). An hour and a half later, I put on my rain gear when it started to drizzle... and then it poured. It rained for about 3/4 of the trek today, with the heaviest during the last push to Villafranca del Bierzo. I walked 23 km (14.2 miles) today in 6 hours 15 minutes.

Despite the rain, the sky gifted me with a rainbow this morning, amazing cloud formations (when it wasn't raining) and fog up on the hills. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I crossed a few towns on the walk to Villafranca today, and stopped in at several churches to give thanks and get a stamp on my credencial.

I walked with Masa, a free-spirited Peruvian, from Pieros to Villafranca del Bierzo today and we had a rather interesting conversation about spirituality and personality. However, when he started telling me about his personal life, I felt uncomfortable. Everybody has issues but please don't dump them on others, especially people you've just met. He chose to stay in the municipal albergue (which I tend to avoid) and I at the private Albergue San Nicolas El Real. I was so glad to be inside and particularly thrilled to see that there's a bathroom inside the room (with only 3 beds). I'm staying the night with 2 girls (from Switzerland and the States). It's so wonderful to have an en-suite and not have to deal with bunk beds.

I'm feeling a little melancholy for reaching the start of the end of this journey. I have to remind myself to cherish and appreciate every moment that I have on the Camino ~ including the muddy ground and cold rain of today. It's all special.

God bless you all. Love and peace.

Above left: Leaving Albergue Alea in Ponferrada this morning

Above right: A rainbow before the rain

Above right: Entering (and passing through) Columbrianos

Above: Entering Fuentes Nuevas

Above right: I rested at the bar around the corner in Fuentes Nuevas to get a respite from the rain and crowd

Above: Inside Parroquia Ntra. Sra. de la Asuncion in Fuentes Nuevas

Above right: Entering (and passing through) Camponaraya

Above left: A different group of Spanish students (from Barcelona) on the Camino

Above: Entering (and passing through) Cacabelos

Above: Ermita-Museo Parroquial de San Roque in Cacabelos

Above: Ermita-Museo Parroquial de San Roque in Cacabelos

Above: Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Senora de la Plaza in Cacabelos

Above left: Arriving in Villafranca del Bierzo at 1:15 pm; Above right: Church of Santiago de Villafranca del Bierzo

Above left: Castillo-Palacio de los Marqueses de Villafranca

Above: Albergue San Nicolas El Real in Villafranca del Bierzo ~ 8 euros per night in a 3-bed room with an en-suite (sweet!)

Above left: View from my room in the albergue; Above right: The inner courtyard of the albergue

Above left: 17th-C Convento de San Nicolas El Real (now Albergue San Nicolas El Real); Above right: Tinto de verano with tortilla con patata

1 comment:

TE said...

Stay dry and send us the rain. We could really use it out here in California :-/

Hopefully you will feel better once the sun comes out.