Friday, July 18, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 35 - El Acebo de San Miguel to Ponferrada (July 18, 2014)

So, I'm a little tired today as I didn't sleep well at all last night, no thanks to a drunk room-mate who urinated on the floor and on the bed of another pilgrim in the room. That poor girl's stuff was all over the floor so the drunk boy's friend had to clean up the mess for the irresponsible one who went to sleep on another bed. Apparently, he had soiled his own bed as well. His bed was above mine but thank goodness, the mattress was thick.

When he entered the room late last night, I sensed that he was a little 'off'. After he laid down to sleep, he started burping and having hiccups, which disturbed me because the bed would shake each time he had a hiccup. I knew something wasn't right so I knocked on his bed above and asked if he was okay and whether he was going to barf or something. He didn't respond and then the hiccups went away. Some moments later, he climbed down from his bed and urinated in the room to everyone's disbelief. I was impressed with the girl whose stuff got urinated on; she had a very good attitude. I marveled at how cool she was because I would be livid if it happened to me. So, there's still much to learn for this pilgrim (me).

I have to write about the awesome Albergue Alea in Ponferrada. It opened on June 25, 2014 and everything about it reminds me of HOME. I loved their white bunk beds, the clean sheets and blankets, the soap and paper towels in the bathroom, the hot showers, the wooden floors, and most importantly, the gentle and gracious hostesses, Esperanza and Amelia. I loved their personal touch and fine service ~ they genuinely cared about the people they serve. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to stay a night there and I can easily say that they're the best albergue I've stayed in on the Camino thus far.

The top attraction in Ponferrada was the Castillo de los Templarios. It was the real deal, a fortified castle built strategically on its site in the 12th century to fend off invaders. Even though I was dead tired, I had to see it for myself (6 euros general entrance fee) and it was worth the visit. I enjoyed the views from the top of the castle and thought the Knight Templars' suit to be rather smart. I was also fascinated by the display of medieval books in the castle's library.

So, for the record, I walked 16.5 km (10.2 miles) between 6:45 am and 11:00 am today. The trek today was rather easy, except for the downward stretch to Molinaseca (I hate going downhill). Stamina-wise, I also felt stronger as I could walk for longer periods without a need to rest.

Above: Entering (and passing through) Riego de Ambros

Above: Lovely homes along Calle Real in Riego de Ambros

Above: Entering (and passing through) Molinaseca

Above left: Sanctuary of the Virgin of Sorrows (17th-C) in Molinaseca

Above: The 12th-C Roman bridge across the river Meruelo in Molinaseca

Above: Entering (and passing through) Campo

Above: Arriving in Ponferrada

Above left: Reunited with tortilla patata and hot chocolate for breakfast in Ponferrada (seemed like a while since I had the duo for breakfast)

Above right: At Plaza del Ayuntamiento in Ponferrada

Above left: The City Hall (Ayuntamiento) in Ponferrada; Above right: The Clock Tower (Torre del Reloj) in Ponferrada ~ it was part of the old wall

Above right: Basilica Nuestra Senora de la Encina in Ponferrada

Above: Inside the Basilica Nuestra Senora de la Encina in Ponferrada

Above right: My bedroom in Albergue Alea, a private newly-opened albergue in Ponferrada; 10 euros a night

Above: At Castillo de los Templarios in Ponferrada ~ a former real 12th-C castle (not a theme park); the Christian military order of the Knights Templar resided in the compound for a century

Above right: The 17th- to 18th-C Church of St. Andrew in Ponferrada

Above right: On the left was the 16th-C Convent of the Nuns of the Immaculate Conception (Convento de la Purisima Concepcion) in Ponferrada, where I met a very sweet old nun who wished me "Buen Camino" after giving me a stamp on my credencial

Above: Inside the Chapel of the Convento de la Purisima Concepcion (Franciscans) in Ponferrada

No comments: