Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 40 - Samos to Sarria (July 23, 2014)

I walked a short distance of 11.9 km (7.4 miles) today, leaving Samos at 6:50 am and arriving in Sarria at 10:50 am. So, this is a rather poignant day for me ~ at day 40, I have finally arrived at Sarria, where those who wish to receive a certificate of completion at Santiago de Compostela must begin their walk. From here, I only have about 112 km (69.4 miles) left to walk to Santiago. I suppose I'm ready to end this journey.

Unlike those who zip by towns and villages by walking 30-40 km a day and thus, see very little on the way, I am really glad that I took my time to explore and sight-see. I'm even happier that I took many photos and uploaded them daily on this blog while I'm on the Camino. I can't imagine going back to organize and upload them at a later stage. It helps to have the right tools ~ thank God for this powerful little tablet, my pocket camera, and free WiFi along the way. :-)

K, I think I'm going to have a sangria and some pinchos now. Until next time, adios and God bless y'all!

Above: My second breakfast in Aguiada (in Taberna do Camino) ~ Tortilla con patata (portiones) and hot tea for 5.70 euros; it was expensive but it's a small tavern and the lady owner seemed nice and hard-working (people make all the difference)

Above right: Like a character out of Star Wars :-)

Above: Arriving in Sarria at 10:50 am

Above right: Casa Don Alvaro Albergue in Sarria ~ garden, fireplace, private bathrooms with hot showers, kitchen, WiFi... 9 euros a night

Above right: A local street away from the tourist traps where I ran some errands

3 comments:

TE said...

It looks like you went straight from the countryside to the big city.

The effects from the fog were really neat.

-Tom E.

Bert said...

Did you, by any chance, take a photo of the cartoons on the wall of the Taberna do Camino in Aguiada? I did, but the exposure was 1/10 sec and I was not steady enough, so I cannot read the captions. I would guess you can email me directly.

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Bert, I did not... wasn't aware of them!