Friday, July 25, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 42 - Portomarin to Melide (July 25, 2014)

Here's a nod to Apostle James, whose feast day is today. As a tribute to him, I unwittingly ended up walking 42 km (26 miles) today. The original plan was to stop at Palas de Rei, a walk distance of about 26 km (16.1 miles). However, when I arrived there, I was in a zone and didn't feel like stopping at all so I thought I would walk another two towns farther. On the way, I saw someone whom I really wanted to avoid. I was really bummed to see him and my first thought was to turn back to Palas de Rei and stay the night there; but, I really wanted to keep on going. So, I bit the bullet and sped-walk up the hill with my head down. Luckily, the guy sat down to eat his sandwich. He was surprised to see me walked up the hill and beckoned me to stop and sit with him. I hurriedly said to him to enjoy his sandwich and that I had to go; and I left. Phew! 

As I walked, I wondered where he would stay the night. To safely avoid him, I decided it was best to walk to the third town after Palas de Rei. By the time I arrived there, I wanted to continue walking so I decided to stop at the next big city, Melide. So, instead of staying the night at Cazanova, I stopped for a treat and drink there and then carried on walking for another 10 km or so. It was a long walk to Melide and by 3 pm, both my feet were really sore. I finally arrived at Albergue Pereira (relatively new; received a flyer on the walk here) in Melide at 4 pm ~ door-to-door, from Portomarin to Melide, it took me 10 hours (from 6 am to 4 pm) to walk today. Other than sore muscles, I feel great though.

I met up with a few folks from Rabanal here in Melide. It's so nice to catch up with them again. We're all probably going to arrive in Santiago this Sunday, if all goes well. Oh, and I'm also really psyched to (finally) try pulpo here in Melide. It's rather tasty but the portion was a tad too heavy for me.

Well, I better go check on my clothes now ~ getting in later than usual, I'm afraid they may still be a little damp. Have a good night, folks! Peace, out.

Above: Church of San Tirso in Palas de Rei


Above: Arriving in Melide (center)

Above left: My bed in Albergue Pereiro in Melide (10 euros a night) ~ happy that I didn't get the bunk bed (just how the dice rolled); Above right: I finally had the chance to try pulpo (octopus), a delicacy in Galicia, in a restaurant specializing in this dish in Melide; with potatoes, my dinner came up to 9 euros

Above: If in Melide, you should try their pulpo in Pulperia Ezequiel


No comments: