Sunday, July 13, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 30 - Leon to Villadangos del Paramo (July 13, 2014)

So, I had to put up with a few things today:

1. Since I had planned on a shorter walk today (see 2. below), there was time for one last breakfast in Leon before I went on my way. I returned to the place where I had breakfast yesterday but didn't see the patata tortilla I so loved; they just didn't have it today so I ordered the solo hot chocolate and went online to take care of some life admin stuff. I take my luck as it comes and fit myself to it.

2. I had originally planned to walk a shorter distance of 11 km to Valverde de la Virgen and stay a night in the private albergue, Casa del Camino, but it was closed for good. The next town with lodging was 9 km away in Villadangos del Paramo. I was irritated that I had to walk a further distance in the harsh mid-day sun. Gentle morning sun ~ good; hot afternoon sun ~ not so good. It took me 5 hours (from 9 am to 2 pm) to walk from Leon to Villadangos del Paramo today, with a distance covered of 20 km (12.4 miles).

3. When I arrived in Villadangos del Paramo, I was disappointed to see the large group of university students from L.A. in the municipal albergue. My previous days' strategy to take it slow so that they would move ahead of me back-fired. When I saw a few of them in Leon yesterday (they must have taken 2-3 rest days in Leon), I had a feeling that they were going to move on to the next town today (hence, my original plan to stay a night in Valverde de la Virgen to avoid them). Alas, I guess I'm meant to meet them again.

When a group of 21 college students and instructor appear at an albergue, it's as good as them taking over the entire place. The peace and serenity that I crave for on the Camino are thrown out the window and I feel like I'm staying in a sorority or frat house after a day's walk. The first time I encountered a few of the students was in a private albergue in Fromista and I could not help but listen in on their conversations as they were not at all discreet or quiet. They were gossiping about some of their classmates who were getting drunk on the Camino and/or who were taking a cab to the next destination instead of walking it. I was annoyed by what I heard and self-righteously felt that the Camino should be treated with respect and tolerance. While I can't say that all of them are alike, and to be fair, some of those I've met were genuine friendly, I can say that as a group, they are loud. My sentiments are shared by the other pilgrims who have expressed the same desire to avoid them on the Camino if they could.

In any case, it's probably not a good thing for me to gripe about them here. Today's lesson for me really is to live and let live. In the same way as I put up with snorers with my ear plugs, I have to put up with the group with my attitude. I can't change them; I can only change my attitude. The Camino belongs to no one person or no one group. It is for everyone to live, love, and learn. The question is, can I learn to love each person I encounter as my brother and sister? This, I believe, is the reason why I'm meant to meet them again.

Above: Leon in the morning ~ a breakfast reprise at the Hotel Spa Paris but they didn't have the tortilla con patata today :(

Above: Entering (and passing through) La Virgen Del Camino

Above: Inside the Basilica Virgen del Camino (16th-C origin; current structure was opened on September 5, 1961 and entrusted to the care of the Dominicans)

Above: Arriving in (and passing through) Valverde de la Virgen

Above right: Entering San Miguel del Camino

Above right: Free treats from a friend of the Camino and of the pilgrims in San Miguel del Camino

Above right: Truckers' rest stop, 2 km east of Villadangos del Paramo

Above: Arriving in Villadangos del Paramo; Above right: The municipal albergue where I'm staying for the night in Villadangos del Paramo (5 euros)

Above right: Lunch ~ I devoured this foot-long tuna and cheese sandwich in one seating

Above left: Too cute to miss; Above right: Fascinating cloud formations


Next post: Day 31 - Villadangos del Paramo to Hospital de Orbigo (July 14, 2014)
Previous post: Day 29 - Leon (July 12, 2014)

No comments: