Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 32 - Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga (July 15, 2014)

I had a profound experience at last night's Mass ~ I heard the word of God. He asked me if I could retain inner peace regardless of my environs. He gave me the revelation that true and lasting peace comes from within. External stimuli like a calm river or the silent road can bring peace, but they are not long-lasting. Can I control my actions and reactions regardless of the people I meet, the weather, the road, etc? The answer lies within. This humble pilgrim needs to learn and relearn P-E-A-C-E in the truest form.

Then, at the night reflection with Fr. Manuel in the parroquial albergue in Hospital de Orbigo, he said (and reiterated many times) that the Camino does not discriminate - it is for the young and old, veteran walkers and newbies (of the Camino), person of all faiths (or none), gender, economic income, etc. The Camino is an invitation from God to walk. Each pilgrim will get what he/she needs to learn according to His time. I felt that I have changed internally since I started my walk from St. Jean Pied-de-Port 32 days ago. I'm moved beyond words.

Today, I walked 17 km (10.5 miles) from Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga in 5 hours (from 6:30-11:30 am). After days of walking in sandals, I'm back on my hiking shoes and they were awesome on the stony terrain. I arrived in Astorga (pop. about 12,000) tired but happy to find a vibrant market at the Plaza Mayor. They have a market at the plaza every Tuesday from 10-2. I stopped to buy a few vegetables and fruit while I was there. At a tomato stall, I picked a tomato and asked the woman how much it cost. She looked at me incredulously and then told me to take it for free. I was grateful and when I asked her if I could take a photo of her, she gave me the heartiest laugh. :-)

I found my way to Albergue San Javier and got a bed for 9 euros a night. I loved the saltwater bath for the feet, the old casa (house) atmosphere, and the generous hospitalero, Louisa (from Barcelona). There's much to see in Astorga so after I checked in (grateful that the albergue was opened from 11 am), I dropped my backpack and went out to sight-see. The Cathedral, its museum, and the Bishop's Palace (designed by Antonio Gaudi) were must-sees in Astorga. For 5 euros, I got to see them all in one afternoon. If you have a sweet-tooth, you'll love it in Astorga as many confectionery shops are peppered all over the town. I sampled all the sweets (cookies, ice-cream, and hot chocolate) and loved them all. 

It was difficult to find WiFi in this town for some strange reason. The only place I could get reliable connection was at a hotel where I bought a glass of peregrino wine to sip while I uploaded my photos for the day. Unfortunately, I've exceeded my photo album limit in blogger, so future posts will have links to a different album from another provider.

I'm a day behind so the next post will be delayed as well. Until then, may (inner) peace be with you.

Above right: A selfie (feeling content on the Camino)

Above right: Breakfast at Santibanez de Valdeiglesias (3 euros)

 

Above: Jose performing "La Peregrina"

Above: Arriving in Astorga

Above left: This kind lady gave me a tomato

Above: Albergue San Javier in Astorga

Above: View from the balcony from my room in the albergue

Above: Saltwater bath for the feet at the Albergue San Javier in Astorga

Above left: The Bishop's Palace in Astorga

Above left: The orignal walls in Astorga were built in Roman times in the late 3rd and early 4th centuries, but they have been modified and reinforced in later years; Above right: Yours truly at the Bishop's Palace in Astorga 

Above left: St. Mary's Cathedral (15th-17th-C) in Astorga; Above right: The interior

Above: Highlights from the Cathedral Museum in Astorga

Above right: Back at the Bishop's Palace (completed in 1961) in Astorga

Above: Inside the Bishop's Palace - medieval meet modernist style of Antonio Gaudi; the place is now a Museo de los Caminos where a large collection of religious (and some contemporary) art is displayed in the 4-floor building

Above left: Meeting Claudia (from Chile) again in Astorga; Above right: My peregrino wine at a hotel in Astorga (what I must do to get WiFi)

No comments: