Sunday, July 6, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 23 - Fromista to Carrion de Los Condes (July 06, 2014)

I left Fromista at 7 am and walked 22 km (or 13.6 miles) today to arrive in Carrion de Los Condes at noon. The weather was unpleasant for most of the day today ~ dark clouds eventually gave way to heavy showers on the 6 km stretch between Villalcazar de Sirga and Carrion de Los Condes. My uncovered head was completely wet and my eyes red from the blinding rain ~ not fun at all.

I checked into the parroquial Albergue Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes and instead of the usual routine of a shower and laundry, I left my back pack behind and went to the center or plazas before they (the churches and shops) closed for the rest of the day (since it was a Sunday and they would not reopen at 5 pm as they normally would on a weekday). I walked to a tourist shop and purchased a new credencial (for 2 euros) to my relief as my current one is almost filled up with stamps. After that, I visited two churches in Carrion de Los Condes: the Church of Santiago (which is now a museum) and St. Andrews Church. I then had lunch at a bar/restaurant before returning to the albergue to rest.

The highlight of the day for me was seeing a shepherd and his herd of sheep, and two dogs. I heard the sheeps' bells first from afar before I finally saw them and what a sight it was! It brought a smile to my face and reminded me of my favorite Psalm 23:

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down on greener pastures, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of darkness, I shall not fear; for You are with me; Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.



I also loved the communal singing at the albergue at 6 pm. Music is indeed a universal language that touches the heart and soul. I was moved, inspired, and grateful for their gift of song, love, and light. At 7 pm, many of us from the albergue went to the Church of Santa Maria to attend Mass and receive a special Pilgrims' blessing.

Amazing Grace (led by the St. Augustine sisters)

Here I am to worship (led by an American peregrina)

Here are photos of the day:

Above right: Arriving in Poblacion de Campos (and passing through)

Above: The river Ucieza

Above left: A shepherd and his herd of sheep; Above right: Arriving in Revenga de Campos (with a brief stop in the Church of San Lorenzo)

Above: Approaching Villarmentero de Campos (and passing through) 

Above right: Arriving in Villalcazar de Sirga (breakfast and a stop in the Church of Santa Maria La Blanca)

Above right: Breakfast at Villalcazar de Sirga (3 euros)

Above right: The Church of Santa Maria La Blanca in Villalcazar de Sirga - built in the late 12th-C and completed in the 14th-C, the church was connected to the Knights Templar

Above: Arriving in Carrion de Los Condes (on a wet Sunday morning); pop. 2,231

Above right: Albergue parroquial Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes (5 euros a bed)

Above left: Plaza de Santa Maria; Above right: Plaza Mayor in Carrion de Los Condes

Above: Inside the 12th-C Church of Santiago, which is now a museum, in Carrion de Los Condes

Above left: A portrait of St. Joseph

Above right: A painting of St. Buenaventura (Doctor of the Church)

Above right: A painting of Apostle James, the pilgrim

Above right: A sculpture of St. Francis of Assisi

Above right: Stations of the Cross (Stations 1-7)

Above left: Stations of the Cross (Stations 8-14); Above right: A different sculpture of St. Francis of Assisi

Above left: The 12 apostles on the facade relief of the Church of Santiago in Carrion de Los Condes

Above: The 16th-C St. Andrew's Church in Carrion de Los Condes (nicknamed as the "Cathedral of Carrion")

Above: My lunch at Carrion de Los Condes (7.90 euros): fish and chips with salad and asparagus; flan for dessert (SO good)

Above right: A full house at the parroquial Albergue Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes

Above left: 'Sing and Walk' at the albergue; Above right: Pilgrims' blessing at the Church of Santa Maria

Above: Inside the Church of Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes



No comments: