Friday, July 4, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 21 - Rabe de las Calzadas to Castrojeriz (July 04, 2014)

I left the Albergue Liberanos Domine at 7 am after breakfast and a few moments later, was joined by fellow albergue mates, Lucas, Lucas, and Didac; the former two are from Poland, and the latter is from Catalan, Spain. It's fun to have walking mates, especially when the trail today was mostly flat, dull, and unshaded.

At 10:30 am, we arrived in Hontanas and stopped to have a much-needed break and second breakfast ~ I had a tuna and cheese sandwich with hot tea for 4.30 euros; it totally hit the spot.

Lucas offered to carry my day pack for a portion of the trail which I really appreciated ~ it was so kind and gallant of him and even though I felt bad, I have learned to graciously accept assistance when rendered.

My blisters are back ~ this time on the inner heels on both feet. I took care of them and hope they will turn to calluses soon (as they did the last time).

We arrived in Castrojeriz at 1:30 pm and decided to call it a day after walking 28 km (17.3 miles) today. We checked into the Albergue de Peregrinos Ultreia for 10 euros a night which included breakfast and free WiFi. After shower and laundry, we walked to a restaurant for a nice 3-course pilgrims' lunch for 9.50 euros. 

As you can see, life on the Camino is easy and inexpensive ~ perhaps this is one reason why many people return to walk the Camino again and again.

Above left: (from left) Didac, Lucas, and Lucas

Above: Passing through Hornillos del Camino 

Above: Arriving in Hontanas

Above left: 6-year-old Johana

Above right: The former San Anton Convent is now the Hospital de Peregrinos San Anton (donativo) ~ it is about 3 km away from Castrojeriz; I didn't stay there (since I had my sights on Castrojeriz) but I thought it would be a cool place to stay a night, if just for the experience.

Above: Arriving in Castrojeriz

Above left: My bed in Albergue de Peregrinos Ultreia in Castrojeriz



Above right: I came across this book in a pilgrim house ~ a must read when I get back

No comments: