Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 24 - Carrion de Los Condes to Terradillos de los Templarios (July 07, 2014)

Woohoo! I crossed the half-way mark today! The trail today was utterly dull and flat, especially the first 17 km (10.6 miles) stretch with no villages between Carrion de Los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. The only bar opened in Calzadilla de la Cueza felt like salvation to me after 3.5 hours of walking. There, I relieved myself and bought a cup of hot chocolate to drink and rest ~ broadcast on TV was the replaying of the morning's "Running of the Bulls" on the first day of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona.

I left Carrion de Los Condes at 6:30 am and arrived in Terradillos de los Templarios at 12:30 pm, covering a distance of 26.5 km (16.4 miles) today. I checked into the Albergue Peregrinos Jacques de Molay in Terradillos de los Templarios and after the normal shower-laundry routine, I finished off a huge cheese baguette sandwich, and then took a nap.

The 3-course pilgrims' menu dinner (for 10 euros) at the albergue restaurant was splendid. For starter, I had a bowl of cream of asparagus soup, for the main, trout with salad, and for dessert, vanilla pudding. We also had red wine and bread. I chatted with a French couple and a Portuguese man who now lived in Paris in my limited French, which was highly amusing.

Here are photos of the day:

Above: The Monasterio of San Zoilo in Carrion de Los Condes is now a luxury inn

Above: Entering Calzadilla de la Cueza (first civilization after a 17-km desert-like stretch)

Above: Rest stop in Calzadilla de la Cueza ~ broadcast on TV  was the replaying of the first day of the "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona that morning

Above right: Entering (and passing through) Ledigos ~ "let it go, let it go..."

Above: Arriving in Terradillos de los Templarios

Above: Albergue Peregrinos Jacques de Molay at 10 euros a night for a 5-bed room (versus 8 euros a night for a bunk bed in a 10-bed room, which I declined)



Next post: Day 25 - Terradillos de los Templarios to Sahagun de Campos (July 08, 2014)
Previous post: Day 23 - Fromista to Carrion de Los Condes (July 06, 2014)

No comments: