Friday, July 11, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 28 - Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon (July 11, 2014)

I walked 19.5 km (12.1 miles) today in 4.5 hours with no (second) breakfast stop in between. As I approached Camino Frances' 4th major city, I also saw more industries and towns along the trail today. I was apprehensive about the accommodation in Leon because if I had a choice, I would rather stay away from the large albergues, especially the municipals. At the border of Leon, I was grateful to receive accommodation tips from a volunteer who helped me navigate the large "Lion" city. He handed me a flyer for Albergue Miguel de Unamuno and said that it's a very nice place to stay, so I headed there. On the way, I got a little lost and the map I was holding was of no help at all. A senora saw my plight and offered to take me to the historical center where I was better able to find my way to the albergue. Shortly after, I asked 2 women for directions and a man overheard us and asked me to follow him instead. Little did I know, he was the man-in-charged of the albergue! I love how things just fell into place like it's meant to be.

I planned to stay 2 nights in Leon to sight-see. Since the albergue was full tonight, they offered me a flat (apartment) for 10 euros a night and the best part was, I could stay put in one place for 2 consecutive nights! What luxury! The flat is the best place I've stayed in on the Camino thus far (even though the WiFi was limited). There are clean linen sheets, 2 large and clean bathrooms with hot showers, a living room, a kitchen, and 4 rooms with just 4 beds in each room (only 2 rooms are occupied in the flat). I love that it's not cramped with people like the big albergues ~ it's cozy like a home. There's even a place to hang-dry my clothes, unlike in a hotel room. :-)

After a late lunch at Plaza Regla next to the 12th- to 13th-C Cathedral of Santa Maria, I walked around town a bit before going to the 7:30 pm Pilgrims' Mass at the Real Colegiata de San Isidoro. It's been a long and tiring day and I'm zapped. Tomorrow is a (rest) day of sight-seeing in Leon. Yay!

Until then, God bless!

Above left: Breakfast (3.50 euros) at 6:30 am at Albergue El Jardin del Camino in Mansilla de las Mulas

Above left: Crossing the River Esla

Above: Villarente Bridge

Above right: Crossing the River Porma

Above: Arriving in (and passing through) Villarente

Above right: Approaching Arcahueja

Above: Playground in Arcahueja

Above right: That "Lion" symbol made me smile :-)

Above left: That billboard ad made me crave American junk food

Above right: God bless this volunteer who introduced me to the Albergue Miguel de Unamuno

Above: Arriving in Leon

Above right: Walking into the historical center of Leon

Above left: Murallas (town walls) in Leon ~ remnants of Roman, medieval fortifications

Above left: Lion = Leon

Above left: My reward for walking to Leon :-)

Above right: The famous Calle Ancha in Leon ~ good place to stroll or sit and people watch

Above left: The Cathedral of Santa Maria in Leon

Above right: My lodging in Leon for 2 nights (@ 10 euros/night ~ sweet!)

Above left: Cream of carrot gazpacho; Above right: A vegetable medley with eggs

Above: @ the Cathedral of Santa Maria in Leon

Above right: Casa de Botines, another one of Catalan architect, Antonio Gaudi's fine work ~ it features a turret on each corner

Above: A close-up of the facade of Casa de Botines

Above right: The facade of the Palacio de Los Condes de Luna in Leon

Above: Inside the Palacio de Los Condes de Luna in Leon ~ free entrance

Above right: Alfredo Arreguin's exhibition in the Palacio de Los Condes de Luna

Above left: "Bueno cosecha" (Good Harvest), 2007; Above right L-M-R: "Pecadores I" (Sinners I) - "Pachamama" - "Pecadores II" (Sinners II), 2013

Above left: "Meditacion" (Meditation), 2014; Above right: "Retrato de familia" (Family Portrait), 1992

Above left: "El mensajero de Zapata" (Zapata's Messenger), 2005; Above right: "El caballero jaguar" (The Jaguar Knight), 2001

Above left: "Triste Frida", 2004; Above right: "Mandala", 1984

Above left: The original 16th-C wooden ceiling in the Palacio de Los Condes de Luna

Above right: The facade of San Salvador del Palat del Rey in Leon

Above: Inside the former 10th-C monastery of San Salvador del Palat del Rey in Leon

Above right: Pilgrims' Mass (7:30 pm) at Real Colegiata de San Isidoro in Leon

Above left: A statue of San Isidoro


Next post: Day 29 - Leon (July 12, 2014)
Previous post: Day 27 - El Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas (July 10, 2014)

No comments: