Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 39 - Fillobal to Samos (July 22, 2014)

Since I was going to walk a shorter distance to Samos today (14 km; 8.7 miles), I started later than usual at 7:40 am, after breakfast at the aira do camino bar, and took my time on the trail. I was really present on the trek and appreciated the golden silence for a big part of the trail today. I'm so grateful for the beautiful walk through a foggy highway, forests, river valleys, green meadows, and small rural villages today.

Samos is a beautiful town that is anchored by the famous 6th century Benedictine Monastery of Samos (one of the oldest in Spain and the cultural symbol of Galicia); the river Sarria runs through it. The other attraction in Samos, besides the Monastery, was the 9th century Cypress chapel that is the oldest church along Camino Frances and in Galicia. Designed by the Mozarabs, it was declared Spain's national monument in 1944. Next to the chapel was an old Cypress tree (that was close to 2,000 years old) that gave the church its name.

The Albergue de Peregrinos Monasterio de Samos is a donativo refuge with really basic amenities. The showers were sub-par, the beds questionably clean, and there was no WiFi or a kitchen. Still, it beats sleeping outside in the cold so for that I'm grateful. The Albaroque bar across from the albergue was a delight and where I hung out to eat and work on my blog. The folks there were so friendly and generous; they were always coming up to me with free samples (chocolate cake, pinchos, and a digestive drink). Please stop by and say hello to them if you're ever in Samos.

The Monastery tour (3 euros) was rather interesting ~ I only wished I understood Spanish; it would have been more meaningful. Still, I enjoyed viewing the frescoes and visiting the church. I also attended a 7:30 pm Liturgy of the Hours service and the 8 pm Mass at the Monastery's church.

Well, it's time for bed. Thanks for walking with me in spirit. May peace be with you.

Above left: Aira do camino bar in Fillobal that was next to the albergue; I had all my meals there (good food, good atmosphere, friendly owners, good value overall)

Above right: A large chestnut tree in Ramil (very common in the mountains of Galicia)

Above: Entering (and passing through) Ramil

Above: Entering (and passing through) Tricastela

Above left: A sign showing the alternate route via Samos to Sarria

Above right: To Samos I go

Above right: This is the way to walk the Camino in groups (these students look out for one another and they rest several times together in various spots for the slower ones to catch up)

Above left: A stray chicken on the trail ~ bizarre

Above: Arriving in Samos at 11:15 am

Above right: Albergue de Peregrino Monasterio de Samos (Benedictine) ~ donativo

Above right: Having a break while I waited for the albergue to open at 1 pm ~ cheese omelette and hot chocolate (5 euros)

Above: Albaroque bar ~ 3-course menu del dia for 10 euros

Above: The 9th-century Cypress chapel in Samos

Above: Inside the Cypress chapel

Above right: For sale ~ jams made by the monks in the monastery; they also collected honey and made chocolate bars for sale (I bought a bar to try)

Above left: My contribution to the upkeep of the monastery ~ 1.40 euros chocolate bar and 3 euros for the tour; Above right: This Benedictine monk was our tour guide in the monastery



Next post: Day 40 - Samos to Sarria (July 23, 2014)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for the beautiful pictures Janet