Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 17 - Burgos (June 30, 2014)

Since there was no bus service from Burgos to Monasterio Santo Domingo de Silos on Monday due to the city holiday, I had to change my plans and stay an extra day in Burgos. I met up with Szilvia from Hungary at a cafe in the morning and after I told her about my plans to visit Santo Domingo de Silos the next day, she decided to join me. She needed to rest her feet (per doctor's advise) anyway, so the short excursion and 2-day retreat should benefit her. We found the 16-bed Hospital de Peregrinos Santiago y Santa Catalina near Plaza Mayor and checked in at 11 am when it opened. The cost was 5 euros per bed and it came with free WiFi. I liked the central location, which was a nice change from my previous stay at Casa de Peregrinos de Emaus that was across the river Arlanzon.

At the albergue, I reconnected with Bradforde who decided to stay another day in Burgos. Excited as well to listen first-hand to the Gregorian chants by the famous monks, he decided to join Szilvia and me to visit Santo Domingo de Silos tomorrow. After lunch, where I had a humongous plate of smoked salmon, elvers (young American eels! Ick!) and chips, I returned to the albergue and chilled the rest of the afternoon (most places were closed anyway due to the holiday). After a siesta, I listened to Bradforde and the fun-loving hospitalero, Jose-Manuel, sing and jam with the other pilgrims from Germany. It was really fun and groovy. Music is such a great connector.

We headed out for dinner at Plaza del Rey San Fernando, where I had a veggie burger that was super delicious and satisfying. I have to agree with the experts that Burgos is the gastronomic capital of Spain. Dinner ended late at 9:30 pm but it was still bright out at this time of the year. I strolled back to the albergue and went to sleep at 10:30 pm ~ sleeping through the nearby fireworks at 11:30 pm; it was loud and it felt like I was in a war zone but fatigue, alas, worked better than any sleeping aids and I slept soundly through the night.

Above left: San Pablo Bridge; Above right: An equestrian statue of El Cid in front of Teatro Principal (Principal Theater)

Above right: Arco de Santa Maria

Above: Plaza Mayor

Above left: An actor playing the role of Jesus

Above: Lunch with Bradforde @ La Quinta del Monje ~ check out my obscene plate of grease (and the elvers)!

Above left: Bradforde and Jane (from Denmark); Above right: Szilvia and Anne (from Germany)

Above: The Hospital de Peregrinos Santiago y Santa Catalina in Burgos

Above: Jose-Manuel, the hospitalero, performing "Besame Mucho" at the albergue


No comments: