Thursday, July 3, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 20 - Santo Domingo de Silos to Rabe de las Calzadas (via Burgos) (July 03, 2014)

After several rest days in Burgos and Santo Domingo de Silos, I was really looking forward to walking on the Camino again. I left Santo Domingo de Silos on the 8:10 am bus (after the 7:30 am Liturgy of the Hour prayer service) and arrived at the Burgos bus station at 9:40 am. I bid farewell to Szilvia who decided to end her walk to Santiago at this time as her legs were still hurting a lot; she will continue her journey to Santiago at another time. After a couple of errands (supermarket and ATM) and a breakfast of the usual, I started walking at 11 am with joy. A family of four bid me "buen camino" as I left the breakfast place ~ they were curious as to how far I had come and when I told them St. Jean Pied de Port was where I started, they exclaimed at the distance I've covered so far. I'm at times too baffled at how much I've walked. With one day at a time, we can all accomplish what may seem like a monumental or overwhelming task at the onset. 

I crossed-path with Maria (who preferred that I did not post her photo here) just after Villalbilla de Burgos as she was riding her bicycle home. I was a little apprehensive of her at first when she got off her bicycle and started asking me questions about my Camino. I wondered about her motive and when she told me to be careful of a flooded spot ahead, I was skeptical. I wasn't sure if I should believe her. However, something inside me told me to keep an open mind, so I took up her offer to walk with me for a bit to a spot where she could direct me to an alternate route (which turned out to be the original Camino before they reconstructed the roads). We chatted while walking and I learned that she's an elementary school teacher who has lived in Villalbilla de Burgos for 22 years. She told me to thank San Tiago (St. James or St. Jacques) for allowing her the chance to help me. I never would have expected to meet such a kind and helpful woman ~ and to think that I was ready to brush her off because of fear or thoughts of negative intents. This was another lesson courtesy of the Camino ~ a lesson on trust and humility. I need to learn to let go (of my own will) and to believe in others. God works wonders through people, places, and things.

After a brief period of walking in the rain (I had to stop under a bridge to put on my poncho and back pack cover), I arrived in Rabe de las Calzadas at 2:15 pm. I walked an easy distance of 11 km (6.8 miles) in 3 hours and 15 minutes today. I am spending the night at Albergue Liberanos Domine for 8 euros a bed, 8 euros for dinner, and 2.50 euros for breakfast. There's also a washer and dryer set available in the laundry room which I decided to use (for 3 euros each) to clean all my clothes, including my rain jacket and sleep sheet, thoroughly once over (hand washing does not clean as well as the washer, I feel).

Until tomorrow, sleep well and peace be with you. Much love from your grateful pilgrim.
(PS: Early Happy 4th to those of you who are celebrating tomorrow!)

Above; A fresh market near the Burgos bus station

Above: Back on the Camino :) (en-route from Burgos to Rabe de las Calzadas)

Above: I sought shelter under this highway bridge (as I put on my rain poncho and back pack cover)

Above: Arriving in Rabe de las Calzadas

Above right: Albergue Liberanos Domine in Rabe de las Calzadas

Above left: Free lockers at the albergue (tres cool); Above right: A mirror in the room (tres tres cool)

Above right: Dinner at the albergue (8 euros) ~ bread, soup, salad, torta con patata, yogurt, and red wine from Navarra (seen here: the gracious hostess, Clementina)

Above: After dinner, I attended vespers at the Convent of the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, just a minute walk from the albergue ~ I was the only peregrina there to be blessed at the end of the service

No comments: